Ceiling height for bedrooms in Baltimore City?

4 Replies

Hi does anyone know the requirements in Baltimore City for ceiling height when converting a basement to a bedroom for it to be a legal or legit BR?  Also is it different for a section 8 vs market tenant?

thanks jeff

I don't know, but I do know there are some other requirements. There has to be a window in the bedroom to let in light. There has to be a second for of egress, usually a basement door to the outside. although a large enough window may count. The furnace, Water heater etc., needs to be in a separate area. 

Thanks Ned I have all the other items. I was at a REIA meeting tonight and someone said the minimum height is 7' 1" - does that sound right?

I met you last friday at the investor lunch btw - cheers jeff

@Jeffrey Goers I didn't realize it was you.  Heck Jeff  I figured you'd be one of the guys I'd go to to ask that.

I used to think it was 7' even. Then I heard it was higher but I didn't get a clear answer of how high. seven feet 1" sounds believable but I wouldn't count on my say so.

call baltimore housing, get the real answer instead of just educated guesses. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here