Atlanta GA / Birmingham AL

15 Replies

Hi everyone,

I'm an Aussie looking to invest in The U.S. for the first time. Atlanta and Birmingham have been recommended. I'm looking for longterm buy and hold investments. My question is, which areas are safer, less crime and have overall stability in these two markets? I'd be looking at B class turnkey investments. Also, is 70-100K a good medium price for safe B class investments assuming the numbers make sense?

Kevin

This post has been removed.

This post has been removed.

Hi @Account Closed

I am new to this as well. I'm currently buying my first property in Birmingham.  I didn't do too much research on Atlanta but from what I understand it's more expensive than Birmingham, in general.  Birmingham has experienced some decline in growth but seems to be on the rise!  Atlanta seems to be a great place to invest as well. It's more expensive but also might be more stable.  Message me if you'd like info on who we are are buying from in Bham.  There are a lot of people willing to take advantage of new investors. Choosing the right people to work with is key.  Again, Im new at this so hopefully you get more insight from others here!

@Account Closed  $70 - 100k is too low for Class B residential in Atlanta.  That's more like C in the suburbs.  Most of the suburbs aren't going to appreciate much unless they're close to the City.   

In the City of Atlanta, Class B would be closer to $150k - $200k.  $1200 - $1600/month rent.  

Thanks for the info Rick. Quite a few agents have told me that 70K would be a good starting price in Atlanta for B class. Unfortunately, it seems, this is not the case. B class housing is certainly what I'm after. My thinking is that it would have less headaches since I don't actually live in the country. I'm also looking at Indianapolis. Seems like Indy is also a stable and high cash-flowing market.

Indianapolis is a great market. any questions feel free to ask! 

Originally posted by @Kevin Thielking:

Thanks for the info Rick. Quite a few agents have told me that 70K would be a good starting price in Atlanta for B class. Unfortunately, it seems, this is not the case. B class housing is certainly what I'm after. My thinking is that it would have less headaches since I don't actually live in the country. I'm also looking at Indianapolis. Seems like Indy is also a stable and high cash-flowing market.

Kevin, that is definitely not B class in Atlanta---maybe 4 or 5 years ago but not today.

Mike D'Arrigo, Pinnacle Investment Properties, LLC | [email protected] | 800 348‑0956 | http://www.investwithpinnacle.com

@Kevin Thielking

BP is full of useful resources such as forums and blogs. Welcome to the Bigger Pockets community-be sure to check out all the awesome BP blogs under “Learn.”

Medium mysolo 401k logoMark Nolan, My Solo 401k Financial | [email protected] | 800‑489‑7571 | https://www.mysolo401k.net/

Welcome @Account Closed , they are both kicking goals up there in Ohio (Toledo and Cleveland respectively).

Yep, that budget works great. I highly recommend Birmingham over Atlanta! I own a lot in Atlanta and I wouldn't buy there right now if it were me investing. Too much saturation, the deals are more minimal, the big growth wave has already happened there, and it's just not an easy market to work in anymore. Birmingham has a lot more going for it, as well as some other cities around the nation. Higher returns than Atlanta! And less chaos.

Medium hipsterinvestment logo black300dpiAli Boone, Hipster Investments | [email protected] | 310‑957‑2101 | https://goo.gl/x52ZKJ

Kevin Thielking Stay away from Birmingham. I want all those houses for myself. Can everyone stop promoting Birmingham. What makes Birmingham cool is its a low key market. Hahaha. Just kidding.

Inventory is still decent, numbers are great, and there are great companies out there to work with. If you are new to investing people will stress that you need to find a "good company" to work with. You should take that seriously. They are your eyes and ears for out of state investing. You can easily be taken advantage of and you won't even know you are being taken advantage of.

I am actually flying out there next week to hopefully get a few props. PM me of you have any questions on Bham.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm really impressed with the people I have already met through Bigger Pockets and it's only been a week. Ali, I think the market I'm going to begin with is Indianapolis and Birmingham. Joel, love your response & made me laugh and would love to chat further. James Wise, I checked out your site, and will be in touch soon. Aaron Mercer, good to hear I'm not alone and would love to give you a call sometime if that's okay. I'm currently in Taiwan and will probably call you around 7 p.m. your time.

$70k will get you a little 60 year old house outside the city, definitely not in a B class neighborhood, Atlanta is too expensive for that

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you