How much would it cost me to build a four-plex apartment building

How much would it cost me to build a four-plex apartment building

Professional · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 15 posts · 3 votes

How much money would it cost to build a four plex from scratch? I already have an acre of land but I would need the permits, materials, plans, etc...

I live in the Denver area.

2Reply
41 views

Most Popular Reply

Bill S.Pro Member
Moderator
Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
10y

It really depends on where you are building. In some locations water and sewer taps are fairly cheap. In others, just getting water could be $60K per unit. 

4 units on one acre is a waste of land. You will have a tough time finding 1 acre. It's a fairly large lot. You should be able to build your product on half an acre quite comfortably. 

It is really tough to find the piece of land you are describing unless you are on the fringe. Zoning has most development scripted and 4 unit properties is not a part of most current zoning concepts. Also renting your units for less than $1/sq ft is way on the low end. Even middle of the road new property should fetch about $1.50/sq ft. Not too many 1,100 sqft units renting for less than $1,500 per month. 

It think the land and soft costs should be something you get your arms around. Those are all very location specific. My bet is that you need more money for those than you have currently planned.

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Denver, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 597 votes
    10y

    What is the price point of the units for resale? and what part of town? 

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    Ask any Insurance Agent - - Cost per Sq Ft.

    Very area sensitive.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 880 votes
    10y

    $140-150/sf depending on how you finish it. That is a very rough number. 

  • Jon HuberPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    10y

    @Allan Tamez This question is REALLY broad... 

    How many sqft will each unit be? What does the lot allow? 

    Will there be a basement? Finished?

    Will each unit be a studio? 2 br? 5 br?

    Will this be a wood frame, concrete? Would the exterior be wood? stucco?

    As you can see, there are a million different combinations. I think you may need to do a bit of research on what it is you will be building... or perhaps talk with a general contractor in your area. I wish I could be of more help

  • Professional · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 15 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Okay, my fault. 

    Here are some more details:

    4500 sq ft. total. (1125 per unit)

    parking lot / community wash and dryer room

    GC to get permits, material, all things that apply to building the structure.

    2 bed 2 bath.

    I want to buy an acre of land and put it up as collateral for a construction loan. I just don't have much idea as to how much it would cost me to build it. Ideally, I'd like to live in one for a short period of time and rent out the other three. 

    If I charge $1000 per unit including myself; I'm trying to figure out if the rent will pay off the property or if I have to come out of pocket.

  • Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    $200 a sqft includes everything(design, permits, materials, labor, GC's cut) but land. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 60 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    @Travis Sperr, I believe I heard you quote $200 psqft for everything, including land, but not financing in a previous post. Do you or @Matt 

    @Matt M. care to clarify or debate? 

    Thanks much!

    Jake Silcott

  • Developer · San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Costs are divided into 3 buckets: 1. Land acquisition. 2. Horizontal costs. This includes site prep, grading, hooking up utilities / septic, permits, city/county extortion payments, and everything so you're ready to lay a foundation. 3. Vertical costs. Everything from foundation to the doorbell. Add on land/hardscaping. Huge variations in each, and very dependent on current state of the lot (and BIG variations in different parts of the country and urban/rural). Vertical costs in my neck of the woods for a 2500sqft duplex, slab, stick built, with 1 car garages is about $120/sqft. That's "builder grade" finishes. Track homes are down in the $75-$80/sqft vertical here, allegedly.
  • Lender · Denver, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 597 votes
    10y

    @Jake Silcott thank you for bringing me back in I wasn't aware this thread was active. 

    $200 a ft is too high in Denver for the product deacribed. I am budgeting $175 a ft for everything from demo of existing to final product, hard and soft construction costs. Financing not included. This number for resale town homes starting at $400k 3 story, roof top decks, etc. 5+ units. 

    For what @Allan Tamez is describing I would venture to estimate $150 a ft give or take $15 based on relationships, understanding the process and how many of the back office/details are hired out. 

    My guess is if you are looking to be in the Denver metro area, an acre and build costs do not deliver a cash flowing product. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Wheat Ridge, CO · Member since 2015 · 36 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    Hi All,

    I'm looking for a couple references on a great GC/Builder in the Denver Metro area. I'm a investor/developer, and would like to get bids on a couple of projects via additional contacts other than those I do have. Any good contacts or leads from fellow Denver or Colorado folks?

    Any help or guidance is appreciated!

  • Bill S.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    It really depends on where you are building. In some locations water and sewer taps are fairly cheap. In others, just getting water could be $60K per unit. 

    4 units on one acre is a waste of land. You will have a tough time finding 1 acre. It's a fairly large lot. You should be able to build your product on half an acre quite comfortably. 

    It is really tough to find the piece of land you are describing unless you are on the fringe. Zoning has most development scripted and 4 unit properties is not a part of most current zoning concepts. Also renting your units for less than $1/sq ft is way on the low end. Even middle of the road new property should fetch about $1.50/sq ft. Not too many 1,100 sqft units renting for less than $1,500 per month. 

    It think the land and soft costs should be something you get your arms around. Those are all very location specific. My bet is that you need more money for those than you have currently planned.

  • Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by :

    $200 a ft is too high in Denver for the product deacribed. I am budgeting $175 a ft for everything from demo of existing to final product, hard and soft construction costs. Financing not included.  

    What does your $175sqft plus financing come out to? I also assume that since this is a new venture for him, a GC probably isn't going to cut him a deal.

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    I have seen what your describing go for around $155-$200/ SQFT depending upon finish level which is essentially the numbers your getting from this thread.  I would listen to @Travis Sperr and @Bill S. as they seem to be well cemented in this market and always have good info.  Having priced and worked in construction in this area, I think your safe around $175, but need to consider parking, curb and gutter, and a few other cost factors as well, depending upon the size of your property. 

  • Hartsdale, NY · Member since 2015 · 874 posts · 218 votes
    10y

    I don't know a thing about building costs but 1,000 rent  a unit would only support a $400,000 investment.  Doesn't sound too good to me.

  • Lender · Denver, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 597 votes
    10y

    @Matt M. Good question on financing. Financing costs are not included in your cost to build because everyone has different means of financing, some projects take longer, different loan to value depending on source and number of units.

    I paid 3/4 point origination and 5% interest only- on the amount advanced on my last deal. The deal I am currently working on, assuming a loan amount of $1.8 MM, same terms - I am looking at about $60,000 in finance costs.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.