Real estate Managemnt software

9 Replies

@Tony Velez  You only *need* a phone, web access, common sense, and a few contractors' phone numbers.  

Some nice to haves are:

I like Cozy.co for taking applications, screening, and online rent collection.  Hopefully, this will be most of what you do.  

With three units, you shouldn't get too many maintenance calls or need to know serial numbers/ages of systems, so property management software would be burdensome.  

You should get some basic PM form letters from your attorney or BP ... pay or quit notice for late rent, lease, application (online is better), maintenance request. 

I'm a small landlord - have used Buildium for 5+ years now and love it.  Big time saver if you use the features as intended and more importantly keep your books in the system/utilize online payments and rental applications.

Excel worked fine for me when the portfolio was smaller.

Since then I have used Buildium and Rentec. It is not without it's problems but I prefer Rentec.

@Tony Velez  For your first 10 deals and wanting to be mobile I would use google sheets.  I wouldn't use any software.  

I will say my firm uses several off the shelf and custom built solutions but that is because of the size of our portfolio.   Google Sheets will do everything you need and if you keep the data clean you will be able to import it into a software once you get over 10 units. 

Feel free to reach out with questions.

Big Ups on buying a rental!!!

@Tony Velez I agree with @James Wise  excel spreadsheet works fine for a few units. Personally I still use excel and I currently manage >200 units some of these my own and the rest for other investors. 

I also like the idea of being mobile so I have a Surface Pro which interacts with Microsoft Office (excel included) so I am fully mobile too.

Good luck!

Originally posted by @Account Closed :

@Tony Velez I agree with @James Wise excel spreadsheet works fine for a few units. Personally I still use excel and I currently manage >200 units some of these my own and the rest for other investors. 

I also like the idea of being mobile so I have a Surface Pro which interacts with Microsoft Office (excel included) so I am fully mobile too.

Good luck!

Wow 200+ units with excel that is impressive. I was holding out strong till around 80ish then I had to give in and go with the software. Since doing it I can't believe I went without it for so long. We use it in conjunction with quickbooks.