Waiver from the broker course requirement in NY

6 Replies

Over the past few years, I've purchased rentals in NJ, CT and NY.  Have about 9 now in the tri-state area.  I was thinking about getting my RE license in said states.  Anyway I can get around the broker course requirement.  I started buying properties in New York in 2009.  I am not exactly sure how to word the waiver.  I just want the license to use as an investor, nothing else right now.  I m targeting the NY market right now.  That's my main focus.


Why would the state give you a waiver?  I have a New York broker license, but don't know of any waiver for a non-licensed person except for attorneys.


Per their requirements:


How do I become a real estate salesperson or broker?

Real Estate Salesperson:
In order to qualify for licensure as a real estate salesperson, an applicant must have satisfactorily completed a 75-hour salesperson qualifying education course in real estate approved by the Secretary of State, and have passed a qualifying examination administered by the Department of State. An applicant who completed the 45-hour salesperson qualifying course prior to July 1, 2008 may complete the 30-hour remedial course in order to qualify for licensure.

Real Estate Broker:
In order to qualify for licensure as a real estate broker, an applicant must have at least two years of experience as a licensed real estate salesperson or at least three years of experience in the general real estate field (e.g., buying and selling your own property, managing property owned by your employer), have satisfactorily completed both the qualifying salesperson course of 75 hours and an additional 45-hour real estate broker course as approved by the Secretary of State, and have passed a qualifying examination administered by the Department of State.

How do I obtain a waiver from the 75-hour salesperson or 120-hour broker course requirement?
You must submit a written request stating the waiver you are applying for along with ORIGINAL proof of course completion, a detailed outline listing topics and hours, and a course description. (Home-study/correspondence courses are not accepted.) The prelicensing salesperson's course must be at least 75 hours of classroom instruction and the broker's course, 120 hours.

In addition, if you have a Bachelor's Degree with a concentration in real estate, you may qualify for a 120-hour qualifying course requirement waiver. Please submit an official transcript with your waiver request.

While I have a BA in pre-law, my MBA is in business, so I cannot use the lawyer route.


They are offering a waiver for the 75 hours required of NY real estate courses.  So lets say you took 75 hours of course work in Colorado, you could ask for a waiver of the 75 hours of NY real estate courses.  They are not offering a waiver of the 75 hours for nothing.  I have a master's degree in real estate which has allowed me to qualify for a number of state's licensing requirements, which is why I am currently licensed in 12 states.  I do not believe NY has any waiver for licensing outside of two.  Attorneys and out of state course work.  Just my opinion.


Calvin T.

You can apply based on previous experience. They have a point system based on what they call qualifying experience and if you hit their required points then you can apply for the license. The details are in the application itself so look that up and see if the state thinks you have enough experience.