Waiver from the broker course requirement in NY

Waiver from the broker course requirement in NY

Developer · New York City, NY · Member since 2015 · 812 posts · 718 votes

Over the past few years, I've purchased rentals in NJ, CT and NY.  Have about 9 now in the tri-state area.  I was thinking about getting my RE license in said states.  Anyway I can get around the broker course requirement.  I started buying properties in New York in 2009.  I am not exactly sure how to word the waiver.  I just want the license to use as an investor, nothing else right now.  I m targeting the NY market right now.  That's my main focus.

1Reply
18 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Lender and Broker · Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 966 posts · 500 votes
    10y

    Calvin,

    Why would the state give you a waiver?  I have a New York broker license, but don't know of any waiver for a non-licensed person except for attorneys.

    Mark

  • Developer · New York City, NY · Member since 2015 · 812 posts · 718 votes
    10y

    Per their requirements:

    http://www.dos.ny.gov/licensing/re_salesperson/re_...

    How do I become a real estate salesperson or broker?

    How do I obtain a waiver from the 75-hour salesperson or 120-hour broker course requirement?
    You must submit a written request stating the waiver you are applying for along with ORIGINAL proof of course completion, a detailed outline listing topics and hours, and a course description. (Home-study/correspondence courses are not accepted.) The prelicensing salesperson's course must be at least 75 hours of classroom instruction and the broker's course, 120 hours.

    In addition, if you have a Bachelor's Degree with a concentration in real estate, you may qualify for a 120-hour qualifying course requirement waiver. Please submit an official transcript with your waiver request.

    While I have a BA in pre-law, my MBA is in business, so I cannot use the lawyer route.

  • Real Estate Lender and Broker · Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 966 posts · 500 votes
    10y

    Calvin,

    They are offering a waiver for the 75 hours required of NY real estate courses.  So lets say you took 75 hours of course work in Colorado, you could ask for a waiver of the 75 hours of NY real estate courses.  They are not offering a waiver of the 75 hours for nothing.  I have a master's degree in real estate which has allowed me to qualify for a number of state's licensing requirements, which is why I am currently licensed in 12 states.  I do not believe NY has any waiver for licensing outside of two.  Attorneys and out of state course work.  Just my opinion.

    Mark

  • Syndicator and Fund Manager · Victor, NY · Member since 2012 · 760 posts · 345 votes
    10y

    @Calvin Thomas

    You can apply based on previous experience. They have a point system based on what they call qualifying experience and if you hit their required points then you can apply for the license. The details are in the application itself so look that up and see if the state thinks you have enough experience. 

  • Syndicator and Fund Manager · Victor, NY · Member since 2012 · 760 posts · 345 votes
    10y

    I might add that you'll still need the course work and need to sit for the test. 

  • Developer · New York City, NY · Member since 2015 · 812 posts · 718 votes
    10y

    Okay, thank you for this information.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.