Making an offer to a direct seller - a bit awkward situation

Making an offer to a direct seller - a bit awkward situation

Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 110 posts · 37 votes

Calling on all negotiation experts, including Michael Quarles (couldn't tag him). 

Tomorrow (Friday) I need to present an offer to a direct seller solicited via my direct mail. The seller is the sweetest older lady, and I want to handle this communication gently.  The situation is a bit awkward, however.

As a disclosure, I am not a wholesaler, not an agent, and I am interested in this property as a rental for my portfolio. 

Background:

Yesterday I visited her property, a brick ranch. It is very dated, but in an excellent location. However, it has notable disadvantages relative to all other homes in the area. While I tried to explain all these points to the seller, she agreed, but insisted on her asking price.  I didn't go as far as to naming mine. The lady, however, loves my "all cash, no inspection, in any condition" proposal.

Now, an interesting point in all this is when I came to see the house, there was an agent sitting at her kitchen table. Supposedly the agent is representing this lady on a purchase of a house in an active living community, where the lady is moving to. Clearly, the agent was there as a watchdog. This made it a bit awkward for me. The same agent supposedly brought a buyer to the lady before (sale fell through), so obviously she is helping selling the lady's house. At the end of our meeting, the agent suggested to the seller to get an offer from me for comparison, but the seller wasn't interested. 

Today, I get a call from the lady asking for my offer. I have a strong feeling that this was an instruction from the agent to get the comparison number. The lady refused to give me her lowest acceptable number, and firmly said "I want you to make me an offer". Well, I failed the negotiations basics, and promised to call her tomorrow with my offer. 

My questions:

1. What is the best way to navigate this situation when there is a "buyer's" agent actively involved?

2. How should I approach my communication with this lady if I know my offer is going to upset her? I don't want her to feel insulted or that I am trying to take advantage of her. I honestly wish her the best and don't want to be pushy.

3. What's the best way to present the offer - number first and then justification, or vice versa?

4. If it matters at all, is it better to give her a call in the morning, afternoon, or evening?

As a disclosure, I did listen to all the podcasts and researched BP topics on negotiations.  I just find this situation outside of a traditional negotiations script. I hope you guys can help me, as I do want this house.

Thank you!

0Reply
9 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Arlington, TX · Member since 2012 · 788 posts · 640 votes
10y

Give her options.  Why not make an all cash offer as well as an owner financed offer?  You have to find her motivation and move from there.  As far as the agent representing her, I don't see anything wrong with that.  Just be completely honest with her and the agent.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    Ludmila:

    I presume you have calculated what it will cost you to make this property rent-ready and know the market rent for the area.

    With these two numbers and your "opportunity cost" you can calculate the maximum you could pay for the house and still have it make a suitable return.

    Where does that number lay in relation to the Vendor's asking price?  If it is higher, you can pay the sweetest older lady {close to} her price and you will be fine.   If your number is lower, then it's your best offer.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 110 posts · 37 votes
    10y

    @Roy N., my price is going to be substantially lower, that's why I am worried about her reaction after I tell her my number.

  • Rental Property Investor · Arlington, TX · Member since 2012 · 788 posts · 640 votes
    10y

    Give her options.  Why not make an all cash offer as well as an owner financed offer?  You have to find her motivation and move from there.  As far as the agent representing her, I don't see anything wrong with that.  Just be completely honest with her and the agent.

  • Levi T.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tucson AZ / Nice FR / Washington DC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Part of the game man. Talked with 4 people in the last few days, I was 60k-90k below their asking. One old lady called me and told me her price before saying anything else, I told her with repairs and going market prices I could only do x, she sounded a little pissed but that's life, I attempted to give her some options, and told her think about it and call me later. She just hung up. Like I said, it's just part of the game. Something you will find that the agent will get fired shortly, and they will call you back one days. Just be candid, your helping them understand why their property is not worth what they want. Just think Pawn Stars or American Pickers.
  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    10y

    I would explain my reasoning before giving my price. You might also consider making the offer through the sellers agent. That way you will have her agent working for you. That is the way I work sellers. Agents don't get paid unless they close and by putting the agent in the middle she can't get paid unless you get what you want.

    Having said that I believe you are wasting your time. It seems clear from what you have posted that you do not believe you can come to an agreement. In addition you do not have the right mind set to negotiate.

  • Investor · Coeur d'Alene, ID · Member since 2016 · 551 posts · 218 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Ludmila M.:

    @Roy N., my price is going to be substantially lower, that's why I am worried about her reaction after I tell her my number.

    You should never care what the seller's reaction will be. As long as you did your due diligence you know what price you need to be profitable. If you can't get that price say thank you and walk away. Always be polite and professional. I as well as other investors get turned down often it's the nature of this game.

    I am curious as to why you felt awkward having an agent there?

  • Investor · Sulphur, LA · Member since 2013 · 126 posts · 41 votes
    10y

    @Ludmila M. Can't lose what you don't have. Make your best offer and move on to the next prospect. 

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 110 posts · 37 votes
    10y

    Thanks everyone for the input! The offer was turned down, but I am just going to wait it out and see if the lady comes back.  She said she had another buyer already, but it could be just a game. For now I moved on to another property. 

    @Rocky V. @Levi T., exactly what I did - getting ready to submit another offer tomorrow.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.