Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Calvin Kwan
  • Oakland, CA
Votes |
Oakland Property - Existing tenant questions!

Calvin Kwan
  • Oakland, CA
Posted May 18 2016, 12:16

Hey Guys,

There's a property in the Oakland that I am interested in, but it has as pretty unusual tenant situation. It's a duplex on record, but the previous owner put in 2 additional non-conforming units (so 4 units total).  One of the legal downstairs units is room-hacked, with 4 tenants living in the unit and separate rental agreements w/ the owner.  All said, there are 7 tenants living/rental agreements on this property, more than I'd like to manage.

Possible options with the property?

1)  Don't rock the boat and keep the property as is.  This is my least favorite option as I don't want to manage 7 tenants.  Some of the tenants are paying extremely low rent, and I don't see them moving on any time soon.  Maybe I can hire a PM to just manage all the tenants...

2)  OMI the downstairs unit.  Not sure if this is an option, but I'm curious of I can OMI the unit if there 4 separate rental agreements w/ the owner.  If possible, I would move-in and rennovate.  With time, hopefully I can hopefully rent it back out to a single lease-holder.  

3)  Completely forget this property.  It would be a lot of trouble to OMI the downstairs unit and I don't want to manage so many tenants.  Also, the issue with the non-conforming units is risky.

I'm a bit torn on this property because the cash flow is pretty good - especially with the non-conforming units bringing in close to market rate.  If I can find a favorable solution for the downstairs unit, I'd feel much more comfortable submitting an offer.  

What do you guys think?  I know I should consult and attorney, but I wanted to reach out to the community to get a first take.

Thanks,
Calvin

Loading replies...