are 4-6% property taxes suppose to be normal??

are 4-6% property taxes suppose to be normal??

Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 16 posts · 4 votes

So it says my first home property tax will be 4% and 2nd 3nd or how many properties that I buy in South Carolina will be 6%. Isn't that very high? is this only in south carolina? which charges more property taxes on investment property?

Because my mom, who lives in columbia, SC had a house which was around 130,000 and bought 2nd house which was around 350,000. when she first moved to the 2nd house, the mortgage was only 1700/month. but later the home became 2nd mortgage the monthly payment, because of the taxes monthly escrow became 4000/month. which seemed crazy. is it suppose to be like this?

how about atlanta? florida or big cities are they similar?

0Reply
57 views

Most Popular Reply

Appraiser · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 4 votes
10y

Yeah that's a 3.3% effective rate. It's still really hard to compare from state to state because of all sorts of other taxes. For example, property tax in Oregon is really high, but there are no consumer sales taxes. Some states don't have income taxes as well.

For what it's worth, in Atlanta I pay about 2.5% effective sales tax on my primary residence.

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Appraiser · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    The assessment ratio varies widely by state. To compare different states you have to compute both the assessment ratio and the millage rate. So in this case, the effective tax rate is 1%. In Georgia the same house may have similar taxes, but will look like this:

    50,000 FMV
    40% assessment ratio
    20,000 assessed value
    2.5% millage rate
    $500 taxes

    In Alabama it might look like this:

    50,000 FMV
    20% assessment ratio
    10,000 assessed value
    5% millage rate
    $500 in taxes 

    For a quick cheat multiply the millage rate by the assessment ratio and you'll get the effective tax rate and can use that to estimate taxes. 

    As for investment property, there are all sorts of variations based on homestead exemptions.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 16 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    oh thank you @Nate Watkins so in this case, house worth around 157000 getting taxed $5000, isn't thats still closer to 4% instead of 1%. right?

    . so 

  • Appraiser · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Yeah that's a 3.3% effective rate. It's still really hard to compare from state to state because of all sorts of other taxes. For example, property tax in Oregon is really high, but there are no consumer sales taxes. Some states don't have income taxes as well.

    For what it's worth, in Atlanta I pay about 2.5% effective sales tax on my primary residence.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 16 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    @Nate Watkins Thank you

  • Wholesaler · Tampa, FL · Member since 2016 · 53 posts · 27 votes
    10y

    According to a recent ranking of median property taxe rates by CoreLogic's Data Team, Illinois is highest at 2.67%, Hawaii is lowest at 0.31%, New York at 2.53%, Texas at 2.17%,  Florida at 1.32%, California at 1.12%, Georgia at 1.10%, and South Carolia at 0.71%.

    Average tax rate across the entire country is 1.31%, so a homeowner of a $200,000 home would pay $2,620 in property taxes.

    I tried to copy and paste the entire table but couldn't do it from my iPad Pro.

  • Investor · Alpharetta, GA · Member since 2015 · 241 posts · 185 votes
    10y

    Sometimes the tax assessors office gets things wrong. It's almost impossible to get every house assessed value correct- every year. I've had a few houses  that were valued wrong. Visit your courthouse in the county. Speak to the tax assessor's office- they will explain the process. Usually, fill out a form and wait. And wait, etc. They will eventually arrive at a "fair" value - that they determine. I never agree to this number. In fact, I fight every high tax number - and win every time. Here's how:

    In most larger cities, there is usually at least one CPA firm who's main function is to fight for property tax values. You hire them, and they get to work. They know the board of equalization ( or whatever the name is in your county). They research comps, taxes paid, etc - to arrive a number they feel is "right" for the value of your home. They have every incentive to do this for the maximum savings, based on their "commission plan". 

    The company I use costs the following: 1. Choose between three different payment plans to them. I choose the "middle" plan which costs me $150 whether they win or not + 1/3 of any savings in year one. This pays for their time up front + incentive on the reduction amount. When they win, I pay them ( based on the middle plan I chose) 33% of the 1st year savings, and keep years 2 & 3 tax savings. In Georgia, the new assessed value remains the same for three years (unless a major change is requested by the county). So - if my taxes drop $500 per year - I pay them $150 + (1/3 of $500) = 316.66: So in year one: I pay them $316. My savings will be $500-316=$184 - not great. But...my savings in year two: $500. Savings in year three: $500. Total cost: $316. Savings over three years: $1166. ROI: 27%. I have had different two homes' tax savings last year of $650 and $450. Was it worth it? Of course. I couldn't do this myself- and wouldn't take the time to try it - let a professional do it that knows how.

    In your case - since the taxes seem extreme - your cost to do this would be higher- based on the savings - but will still be worth it. Find a service like this near you. There has to be at least one CPA firm that fights for homeowners. Just ask around or google it.

  • Lender · Roseville, CA · Member since 2011 · 205 posts · 86 votes
    10y
    There is usually no need to pay a CPA or Atty to file a tax assessment appeal. The assessor appraiser probably doesn't have time to visit every property so often completes the appraisal from their desk unless the owner appeals. This can begin with an informal process where they will actually visit the property so they can complete a more accurate appraisal and often results in a reduction if there were issues with condition, functionality, or external factors they had not considered originally. If you have concerns about your property tax assessment, try contacting them to ask for an informal review first - this is free! And from my experience, they try to be fair. Only then, if you have no success, it might be worth paying someone to help you and paying for the formal appeal application.
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Nate Watkins  Not sure why you would say Oregon tax's are real high as they are not..

    not the lowest but certainly not the highest .. my tax's are about 1.1% of Market value.

    downtown PDX is the highest in the state then everything else gets lower. you get out in the country and rates are very low.. I had a 800k house in Washington county. which was on septic and private water tax's were 6k a year total.. not bad.

  • Appraiser · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    @Jay Hinrichs Sorry. I was just going by memory when I lived there. Of course, this was Portland. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Nate Watkins  NP... I buy property in about 20 states so I get the bills..

    notoriously high are

    1. IL

    2. PA

    3. TX

    In Oregon you can also have timber land tax deferral and ag deferral..

    I owned 700 acres out in Willimina worth over 3 mil. and my tax's were less than 2k a year.

    you pay tax when you harvest the tree's a once very 60 year event..

    I am in Lake O and my property is right at 1 mil and my taxs are 9k.. for instance.

  • Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2008 · 53 posts · 21 votes
    10y

    No, taxes seem to be unrelated to market since SC does not have a high population. Is just where the cities and counties think they can get money from. I really liked Orlando, FL because their tax rate was so much lower on property. In SC, can get very cheap properties, just have to factor in the taxes

  • Rock Hill, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 597 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jo Amick:

    No, taxes seem to be unrelated to market since SC does not have a high population. Is just where the cities and counties think they can get money from. I really liked Orlando, FL because their tax rate was so much lower on property. In SC, can get very cheap properties, just have to factor in the taxes

    Jo the cheap properties are what turn in to nightmares for investors. I am speaking from experience and watching countless investors lose out on low end rentals. Not just here in SC but many states.

    There are many groups that make a good living selling these but yet very few long term investors , or smart money ( institutional ) goes for that area.I think there is a reason for that in the over all investment strategies. They do work ,I know quite a few folks that make them work.

    I appreciate some of you response since you have been here . Good stuff for the folks.

    Where in Florida again.I as in North Port , Sarosata area back in 2009-2010.

    Sure you are rained out today as we are getting some solid rain here in Rock Hill as well.

    Alex

  • Rock Hill, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 597 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jacob Song:

    oh thank you @Nate Watkins so in this case, house worth around 157000 getting taxed $5000, isn't thats still closer to 4% instead of 1%. right?

    . so 

    Jacob send me an PM I I can send you our new construction homes( turn key rentals).I am not selling these. There is another company but I can send you the tax breakdown for thes to compare as well.

    For SC markets the only markets we determined to build turn key rentals are Greenville and Columbia SC because of the taxes. The company selling them has sold 20 of the first 36 with only 10 being built , so we can see the demand for this product.

    Hope all is well

    Alex

  • Investor · Aiken, SC · Member since 2014 · 398 posts · 120 votes
    10y

    Yes, taxes in SC seem high, especially when compared to other place. The big kicker that I have run into in SC, is not only is the percentage higher the way in which the actual tax is calculated is different for a rental/2nd home vs primary residence. Generally speaking, in my county the tax on rental's is about 3-4 times higher than if it was an owner occupied property. For instance, I have a SFR in Aiken that was taxed at $350/yr before I purchased it from an owner-occupant, my annual property tax is now about $1300 and the house is worth $100k. My house in the same county is worth about $290k with $1100 in annual property taxes.

    I have passed on a number of properties because of the tax implication after converting them to rental properties, particularly in Columbia, SC where dealing with City & county taxes both at the non-homestead higher tax rate simply murders cash flow.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 16 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    @Jesse Waters Thanks :) I guess government of SC doesn't want people to be investing in real estate. I would rather invest in another state where the tax is lower and population is higher(FL,GA, ETC..)  It is just ironic that on the list of property tax rate SC just comes out at 0.71% when it is a lot more higher than that. Thank you

  • Investor · Aiken, SC · Member since 2014 · 398 posts · 120 votes
    10y

    @Jacob Song Not that taxes are really high compared to other places its just something to be aware of.  Since I live in SC and like having my properties near by I am careful about making sure I purchase on the good side of city/county lines.  So long as you are aware of what the taxes are before a purchase, plug them into the numbers and see if it works.

    I work with some guys from Texas who pay significantly more for a similarly valued house as I pay on my residence, 4-5 times more in fact. I also have a property in VA and there is no difference in tax rate for owner occupied vs rental.

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    10y

    There are certain states like Texas that have no income tax so property taxes are higher to offset.

    If you own SFR or multifamily for investment you better include the high property taxes into your numbers or you will surprised at the return.

    With commercial specifically we can bill back the tenants with retail strip centers and they pay the high property taxes.

    As for the appraisers doing the desktop process without leaving the office I am finding in many parts of the country that is not the case anymore. The reason is with values rising in many areas counties and cities are sending out letters saying so and so will be in your area on this date and have a form to fill out. They are on the hunt for money now when in the down turn they were keeping taxes flat because if they raised backed then almost everyone appealed because they were hurting with the economy.

    Some of my clients have some ongoing appeals right now and the properties are in the tens of millions so the taxes are substantial.       

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.