Is it normal for Realtor to ask for Home Inspection Report?

Is it normal for Realtor to ask for Home Inspection Report?

Investor · FL · Member since 2014 · 73 posts · 8 votes

Is it normal for Realtor to ask for Home Inspection Report?  Even after the buy process didn't go through, as we backed out. 

The property had too any issues. And the realtor recently ask if he can get a report of it.

Why would he ask for it? 

Would you do it?

We paid for inspection ourselves.

0Reply
70 views

Most Popular Reply

Joe SplitrockPro Member
Moderator
Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
10y

@HJ Bercy I have had realtors offer me a copy of an inspection report from a previous deal that fell through. Basically when the buyers decided to back-out, the don't need the report and they give it to the seller or agent. Then the new buyer can just use that report. It saves time and money for the new buyer. Why would you want to help the seller or the new buyer? That is up to you. Some people never help anyone unless they get benefit themselves. Other people do kind things with the attitude it comes back to you in the future. If I backed out of a deal, I would give the report for free. If the seller refused to negotiate to reduce price after inspection, I would not give the report to them. There right answer is what you feel comfortable with. 

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    10y
    He would like to see what an inspector found, since it's his listing. No reason for you not to.
  • Inspector · Freeport, NY · Member since 2013 · 136 posts · 36 votes
    10y

    If it is his listing, he should have a pre listing inspection done for the seller to determine the issues. As the buyer, you certainly do not need, nor should you give the listing agent a copy of the inspection report.

  • Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @HJ Bercy any realtor that has a deal fall through because of inspection issues that doesn't ask for a copy of the report is a terrible realtor. 

    I would absolutely give it to them, if nothing else since you had their house off the market for a period of time, costing them money, and now they're having to put it back on because you backed out - seems like the least you could do, and there's no downside to it. 

  • Rob SinglesPro Member
    Investor · Sebring / Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2013 · 23 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    If you were the seller or agent and you just had a buyer walk away because of inspection issues you would want to know why. I do not see the harm in sharing the report. If you feel he is getting something for free ask him for half the cost of the inspection. 

    Home inspections can be all over the place, I've seen them miss huge things, had them nit-pick non issues to justify themselves, and also had them point out legitimate issues I had missed. Bottom line it's nice to know. 

  • Mike CumbieBusiness Member
    REALTOR® · Brockport, NY · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    Hello @HJ Bercy,

    DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer or giving any legal advice, anything written is pretty much just the opinion of some dolt on the internet and should most likely be ignored.

    I know in my area there is verbiage in the Purchase and Sale contract that says something along the lines of: "If after you get an inspection you want out you must give specific things that failed and give the seller an opportunity to fix them"

    If I had a report on a property I no longer had an interest in, I would give it to them. I suppose you could sell if you wanted to, but it is really an item you have zero use for anymore and the only other person on the planet that would want it just had you back out of a deal.

    I feel any agent would ask, it gives his seller a list of things they can fix before the next deal or something he can go to his seller with as evidence of a needed price adjustment.

    Good luck and hope you find the right one!

  • Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Mike Cumbie In Texas, where @HJ Bercy is, our real estate contracts use option periods, so as long as the inspection was done during the option period, which it should have been, they can back out for any or no reason whatsoever.

  • Investor · FL · Member since 2014 · 73 posts · 8 votes
    10y

    @Mike Cumbie  It was actually a bank deal. Well Fargo.    My attorney already ended purchase deal. We were within our window of course.

    Im just curious why my realtor would ask for it.  Is that normal?   I do not have a tight relationship with realtor.

  • Mike CumbieBusiness Member
    REALTOR® · Brockport, NY · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    Thanks @Jason Hirko 

    I know things are different over there, I believe you guys don't use lawyers and have some first look period or some such. Real estate is such a local thing. Thanks for the info!

  • Mike CumbieBusiness Member
    REALTOR® · Brockport, NY · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    Hi @HJ Bercy

    OOOOH your REALTOR on a bank deal. That is completely different than I took it. In that case the only reason I could think of would be to give to another client. In that case I may say "If you find someone in on this house, I'll sell it to them at half price"

  • Investor · FL · Member since 2014 · 73 posts · 8 votes
    10y

    I like that @Mike Cumbie . Thats what I would do!  Thanks!!!

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    10y

    @HJ Bercy I have had realtors offer me a copy of an inspection report from a previous deal that fell through. Basically when the buyers decided to back-out, the don't need the report and they give it to the seller or agent. Then the new buyer can just use that report. It saves time and money for the new buyer. Why would you want to help the seller or the new buyer? That is up to you. Some people never help anyone unless they get benefit themselves. Other people do kind things with the attitude it comes back to you in the future. If I backed out of a deal, I would give the report for free. If the seller refused to negotiate to reduce price after inspection, I would not give the report to them. There right answer is what you feel comfortable with. 

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    10y

    Im a little unclear...if it is your agent as the buyer, I dont know why they didnt receive a copy of the report initially? If it is your agent, then they need it for their file.  They need to keep a copy of it for as long as state law dictates they maintain their records. In my case I think I need to maintain it for 3 years.

    If it was the listing agent requesting it, it is because they want to be aware of what issues came up so they can be prepared for it the next go around, by either having some of them fixed, or making the next buyer aware that the properties has certain issues so they dont tie up the property if those things will be issues for the next buyer.

    If you plan on doing multiple deals in the future, then you should absolutely provide the report to the listing agent..because at some point you might be trying to buy a property from him again. If you dont provide it, he might just make a note of that and in the future when he receives an offer from you, he might pass over yours for someone elses if he thinks you are difficult to work with.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.