DD Money Back If Seller Backs Out? (Not Inspection-Related)

DD Money Back If Seller Backs Out? (Not Inspection-Related)

Investor · Crivitz, WI · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 0 votes

Not sure how unique of a situation I have on my hands.  The seller re-signed a 5yr cable contract last November for a 16 unit we are 10 days away from closing on.  As a contingency, I required proof of the cancellation of the cable contract, to which he complied by providing a letter (on his letterhead) with a cancellation number cable company gave him.  Date of termination effective the 27th of September, same day as closing.  We then proceeded with the inspection and bank appraisal (roughly $3,500).  We are now 10 days away from closing, I'm set and ready to go, and he came back saying the cable company threatened to slap a lien on the property for the balance of the contract ($28k).  He said he is not paying the remaining balance and asked if I wanted to take over, to which I replied absolutely not.  His attorney sent the cable company a letter and they are trying to get it reduced to a pre-payment penalty, which they feel they can accomplish.

So, my question is, has anybody been in a similar situation where the seller agreed to an up-front contingency like this where it's not inspection-related, you proceeded through the due diligence phase, and then they backed out?  If so, did you recoup your due diligence monies, and how?  It seems only fair that I receive my ~$3500 back if he backs out as I wouldn't have proceeded without the cancellation letter (clearly spelled out in the contract).  Look forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences.  Thanks all!

0Reply
27 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Crivitz, WI · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Interesting.  The asinine part here is that this was a re-sign so no actual build-out occurred.  The seller believed comparable cable TV for the tenants is $80/mo and that by providing cable they wouldn't ask to put up satellite dishes on the roof.  Local comps do NOT include cable TV and his units are below current market rents (and in fairly nice condition).  I don't believe the market will bear up-charging units for cable TV, I know several units don't even currently utilize it.

    I'm not the cable company, just interested in getting fair market rents while minimizing my expenses and taking good care of the tenants and property.  I don't feel I'm off-base here, though I'd be interested to hear others opinions.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    interesting situation... if you choose not to close.. I assume you get your EMD back.. and if you think you have been damaged ... then it would appear to be a small claims court action.. not enough money to engage lawyers over

  • Investor · Crivitz, WI · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Thanks Jay.  I'll post what happens.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    I have done long term contracts with cable and phone. There probably needs to be a written cancellation clause. Remember these put all infrastructure in at no cost of owner up front so I can see them defending their contract vigorously 

  • Investor · Crivitz, WI · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Jay, I agree with you as I've had that with my businesses as well.  From what I'm told this is a voluntary renewal and the owner said the infrastructure was there prior to his purchase, as it was college housing.  He has that going for him but will still be interesting to see Charter's response.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.