Votes
Jon Youhanaiw
  • Montgomery, IL
Votes |
Multiple VA Loans

Jon Youhanaiw
  • Montgomery, IL
Posted Sep 27 2016, 14:14

This question is for those that understand the entitlement process of the VA Loan. As you may know the VA entitlement can allow for more than one VA loan depending on certain situations. I'll need to elaborate on my situation for my question to make sense, so bear with me!

I've owned a single family for about two years financed using a VA loan. I'm now selling and under contract to close within the next month. I'm also under contract to buy a duplex. I will be using a VA loan for this purchase.

My understanding about the entitlement is that 25% of my 1st loan amount is charged to my entitlement capping out at $417,000 county limit. Since I'm selling it will be released. When I buy my second property it will be a 2 unit with a limit of $533,850 because 2, 3, and 4 unit properties each have different county limits.

When I purchase the duplex my entitlement charge will be approximately $73,000. This will leave me with around $238,000 available for an additional purchase. This is based off of the $533,850 county limit.

My question is what happens to the entitlement limit when you mix the number of units on different purchases? Let's say I want to buy a single family next. Will I still be using the 2 unit county limit or will they adjust the remaining entitlement amount? What if I want to buy a 3 or 4 unit property? 

Does anyone know how this is treated? 

Lastly, I've seen that there are some requirements the VA will consider whether to allow you to use the remaining entitlements to purchase an additional property.

Does anyone have a resources allowable circumstances?

I'd appreciate if anyone can help!