Votes
Oleg Khryashchev
  • SF East Bay, CA
Votes |
New member SF East Bay area - problem with property

Oleg Khryashchev
  • SF East Bay, CA
Posted Oct 7 2016, 12:04

We bought a property in SF East Bay area, CA in the summer 2013. It was a half acre lot that was previously divided by old owners into two parts (used to be an 1 acre). They sold the other part to some other buyer.

The problem is that when they sold us the property in 2013 they didn't disclose that their sewer line is connected to the only legitimate sewer line that is placed om the neighborhood's parcel, the one they sold earlier.

So, now, when we wanted to upgrade our property and went to sanitary department, they told us they will not give us any permission to do anything until we fix the problem and dig a new sewer line connected to town main pipe.

The estimate for the job comes to many many thousands dollars and at least five days of work, not to mention all the fees to Sanitary department.

The thing is, neither City Hall nor Sanitary Department in Martinez, CA don't have any records or maps of the pipe lines on our two properties (that used to be a one property). So, we have to pay some contractors company to create a map of oour sewer lines.

How that possible and whom should we go to to get reimbursed for all the works that is already done and that we will have to do in nearest future? Who is to blame for selling us "problem" property?

Seems everybody is ready to charge us fees but as soon as taking any responsibilities, there is nobody in sight!

I know one way to resolve this issue is to hire attorney, but I am the only person with income in my family of 4 and still kind of not sure how we bought a property in this area at all - so, definitely money is extremely tight, so, looking for some community help, pointers... 

Thanks in advance!

Loading replies...