Non-Permitted Room.... what to do?

3 Replies

Non permitted room, what to do with that? I just got another offer accepted, but realizing the second room was not permitted, 2 or 3 owners ago, so will that put me in trouble when I resell after my repairs? Is there a penalty (or need to destroy the wall, or get city inspection if up to code) if city discover it? I think usually there is no problem, but I'm not sure how to deal with that. I'm still in my contingency period, I can still get out of the deal but I like the place... thanks

@Nadine Lajoie ,

The biggest problems with non-permitted rooms is it may not be up to code (structural, electrical, etc). If they are selling it as if it is permitted then you can most likely get out of the deal or get the price reduced. 

If you do like the place and it's not permitted you could go through the process of getting it permitted after your own it. This would include paying inspection fees, updating any windows, electrical, or structural items as necessary so it meets current code. 

I found this other post that talks about it as well. See below:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/311/topics/12...

good luck

Kinley

Make sure your offer is low enough to cover your risk of losing the room. 

thanks a lot... still evaluating my options this week when I can still get out of the deal... unfortunately, already negotiated 15k down and cannot get it lower, already 4 back-up offers... California is crazy!!!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here