Rental Property Investor · Park Forest, IL · Member since 2016 · 52 posts · 15 votes
Hey BP,
I was wondering to hear from someone who is familiar with the Chicago market. I live 30 minutes south of the city and have been hearing there are very good deals in Chicago, but you have to purchase in the right neighborhood.
I am interested in multi family rental properties and fix and flip.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you,
Ryan B.
Flipper/Rehabber · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 4 votes
9y
Hi I would say there is no such thing as the right neighborhood. But you have put your ear to the streets and listen to the chatter contact some Realtor in the chicago area and as them Iwould say check out Englewood and bronszville
BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
9y
@Ryan Boren , I moved out of Crete before I really got into real estate, so I'm not sure the multi market in the south burbs, but what's wrong with Park Forest and Richton Park? My sister lives in Tinley, and there are some pretty great deals there, too. The Tinley Park high school district is lower priced than the Andrew district - and Andrew is more desirable of course, but there are plenty of renters who don't have kids in high school so they don't care about the districts.
Hey there @Ryan Boren. I work mostly in the South Suburbs and have some partnerships for the city itself. Chicago is really landlord friendly, so I recommend if you are newer to really understand the laws before investing there.
Good news is in Park Forest you are near some good areas in the South Suburbs. It kind of depends on your risk tolerance and goals. Tinley and Oak Forest are great for fix and flips and rentals. Homewood, Hazel Crest, CC Hills are too. I own some rentals in Matteson that perform really well and have partnered on some flips there as well.
I stay away from Park Forest myself. It has some of the highest levels of inventory in Chicagoland, so I find much better deals just a few minutes away.
I'm in these areas almost everyday, so if you have specific questions let me know. Good luck!
Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 57 posts · 17 votes
9y
Hello Ryan,
If your interested in finding some off market properties I'm your lady. I find rehabbers fix & flips projects. If you interested in receiving some emails; no spam by the way just shoot me a message.
Investor · Chippewa Falls, WI · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 1 vote
9y
Hi all, sorry to hijack the thread momentarily, but I am an out-of-state owner with a property (3/2 SFH) in University Park. I haven't been happy with the management, so I'm looking to make some changes. Ideally, I'd like to find a new property manager to handle things better than the last one, but if it comes down to it I'd be open to selling at this point and deploying the capital closer to home.
Can anyone recommend a property manager who works in the University Park area?
Secondarily, any recommendations for a selling agent in the area?
Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 283 posts · 71 votes
9y
South suburbs and south chicago are great markets to flip and build rental inventory. Have been doing so for the past couple years. They are in the most abdundance of all chicago imo. Lansing, South Holland, Richton Park etc
Hi all, sorry to hijack the thread momentarily, but I am an out-of-state owner with a property (3/2 SFH) in University Park. I haven't been happy with the management, so I'm looking to make some changes. Ideally, I'd like to find a new property manager to handle things better than the last one, but if it comes down to it I'd be open to selling at this point and deploying the capital closer to home.
Can anyone recommend a property manager who works in the University Park area?
Secondarily, any recommendations for a selling agent in the area?
Thanks!
Sorry for not being any help, but who is your property manager? I'm vetting for a Chicago multi by the end of the year.
Residential Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 64 posts · 17 votes
9y
So many options Ryan. I feel that many neighborhoods on the Northwest side are strong candidates for flipping and buy/hold. Hard to find a good buy/hold without adding a value-add component to the deal in today's market.
Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 165 posts · 49 votes
9y
Hi Ryan!
Welcome to BP! I am a Realtor for 10 years in Chicago. I work with buyers, sellers, developers and investors. I would be happy to talk to you about your search and your goals. Feel free to PM me.
Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 1 vote
9y
Stay away from Park Forest if you are trying to flip. Low Property values, high property taxes, and an abundance of inventory. It is a good area to do Rentals.
Richton Park have some areas like Park Forest but you can find some gems in the more developed areas if you are patient and diligent.
Matteson is a good area for Buy and Hold, Flipping and/or Renting.
You can get some great MF in Chicago Heights
(In my opinion) Crete and Steger you are starting to get off the reservation a but and finding many people wanting to move out that far can sometimes become challenging.
Oak Park, IL · Member since 2017 · 14 posts · 7 votes
9y
I'm bumping this thread because I'm curious what people thoughts are on the area surrounding the Garfield Park Conservatory? I've had my eye on that neighborhood for a couple months because of the plethora of old grey stones. I've passed every day on the Green line for about 5 years. It is very slowly gentrifying...
Real Estate Consultant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 720 posts · 439 votes
9y
@Erica Rodriguez , great observation. East Garfield Park neighborhood is changing very fast due to proximity to Downtown, train stops, and I290. I have several investors buying in the area. Let me know if you'd like to talk more about it.
Personally, I like Forest Park (not to be confused with Park Forest), which is next door to Oak Park.
Hey Mike!
I'm new to Bigger Pockets and real estate investing in general. I was contending for a place in Hannah St in Forest Park but they got an offer a day after it hit MLS. I was wondering if you'd like to grab a coffee and just chat about your thoughts on REI?
Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 81 posts · 35 votes
9y
Hello @Ryan Boren and all other Chicagoland investors!
Ryan I've wholesaled a few properties lately and investors are starting to ask me more about the South Shore, East Garfield Park, Humboldt Park, Chatham neighborhoods. I'll connect with you and send you anything that fits your criteria as I get it.
I would also love to connect with everyone else on this thread! Feel free to reach out to me.
Lithonia, GA · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 0 votes
9y
Hi All,
any opinions on Brainerd? I was wondering if it a decent area to commute to work from? What do you think 3 bedrooms would rent for approx? I am not from Chicago so I am trying to learn this market, it is so big!
@Erica Rodriguez , great observation. East Garfield Park neighborhood is changing very fast due to proximity to Downtown, train stops, and I290. I have several investors buying in the area. Let me know if you'd like to talk more about it.
I used to have to go to East Garfield Park frequently for my W2 job and was amazed by how many boarded up beautiful greystones were there. This was a couple of years ago, I'm curious as to what changes you've seen in the neighborhood?
I'm simply observing from perspective of Lake Street while I travel past on the EL :) I'm sure @Lumi Ispas will have some more concrete insights.
My observation: I'm seeing more and more middle to upper middle class looking people get on or off at the Conservatory Central Park Drive stop. I'm seeing less bums congregating in the park (winter might be a factor)
If you "drive around" the park with google street view you will see some new builds and rehabs
Real Estate Consultant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 720 posts · 439 votes
9y
@Jeff Burdick , a lot of homeowners are buying single family homes and two-four flats that they actually occupy. A neighborhood is changing as the percentage of homeowners increases. As you know homeowners improve neighborhoods through pride of ownerships, calling Police if needed, watching the streets and calling on the Alderman when they want more services, etc.
Second change is that builders are starting building again.
These two changes combined with the location, just 15 min from Downtown (driving distance), proximity to highway and couple train station makes the neighborhood very desirable.