Land in Northern CA or Oregon

2 Replies

My son and I will be spending the first two weeks of November driving around Northern CA and Oregon looking for a small piece of land to develop as a homestead of sorts. It would ideally be sunny, out of wildfire, drought, and flood range as much as possible, near a reasonably good sized community (5,000 people or more) with some basic services, private, and with water and the possibility of building at least one house. We will be looking for between 2-10 acres. Where would it be possible to find that type of land and that amount of acreage for $50,000 or less? I've seen some great deals in the north eastern corner of CA, but that area seems a little too desolate. Is that an accurate assessment? I would be particularly interested in areas that are within 10 miles of the ocean if they fit the other items on our list. 

Info about good areas of Oregon would be especially helpful as neither of us has spent much time there at all.

within 10 miles of the ocean precludes most of what you described

however If your looking for really inexpensive let me offer these

1. Lake Shastina  ( just out of Weed CA)

2. Klamath falls and some areas east of there called.. Christmas valley

3. Cal Pines out of Alturas one of the huge developments in the 50's 1 acre lots 10k

4. Eureka north to Cresent city is coastal CA.. not as cheap but not really that expensive compared to other areas of CA.

5. Brookings Oregon.. again not going to get 10k lots but it will be 10 miles from the ocean and some great rivers come in there including the Chetco and the

Basically you have to realize the coast of N ca and S OR is quite rugged .. there are props to be bought within 5 to 10 miles of the ocean then it turns into rugged  national forest type properties for a substantial amount of territory.. once those coast ranges and the southern Siskiyou's are crossed them you get  into high desert type props.  But you can indeed find very inexpensive props there if you look .. and you don't have to look that hard.. just make sure you check on build ability.

Hope this helps I have more than a passing knowledge of the area if you wish to hit me off line with some things your thinking about happy to help

Thank you so much for this detailed info, @Jay Hinrichs . You have given me several good starting points. Rugged is just fine! I may be in touch further as I get a better sense of what we are looking for.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.