New to the US...No Credit....Help!!!

9 Replies

Hi All,

I moved to Charlotte, N.C. with my family a couple of months ago from the U.S. and I am looking to get into the real estate market, initially by purchasing a primary home and then creating another income stream through property investments.

I have done alot of research and read a few posts on the approach to getting started, however one of the challenges I am facing is the issue of no credit.

As anyone dealt with this previously and if so any advice on how I can proceed? 

Thanks,

Okey

Welcome to BP, @Okey Okonkwo .  There is plenty of information here to read up on and get familiar with real estate.

As for credit, get a job and a secured credit card.  Use it for small purchases and pay it off.  If you don't have a social security card, then you can apply for one if you qualify.  Here is a link from the Social Security Administration.

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10096.pdf

Good luck,

Brian

Thanks Brian.

I have a good paying job, SS card and have a secured credit card as well as credit builder loan as well. 

I might just have to wait a couple of months and let my credit build before approaching lenders again.

build your credit, but you don't worry about it as far as your business goes.  You can learn enough to to buy your own house and investment houses without credit.  That should be your goal anyway.

Did you mean to write that you moved to Charlotte from the UK, as that would make sense, since your subject says 'new to the U.S.'

If you're on a visa, be aware that you're not allowed to do any other kind of business, other than the job that you got your visa for. So, you could probably invest in rental properties, but you wouldn't be able to buy and sell homes or notes etc.

Yes I moved from the UK (via Dubai).

No I am not on a visa but on a resident permit (Greencard). 

You wrote that you moved from the U.S. ;-)

Ok, on green card that shouldn't be an issue then.

Contact HSBC bank if you have moved from U.K. They have mtg programs for foreign buyers. If you have accounts with HSBC in UK and you are Premier member it will help as well. Also depends on how long you have been here as well.

Thanks for the HSBC tip. I have an account with HSBC so it is worth a look

Welcome @Okey Okonkwo from a fellow Charlotte investor! As others have already mentioned there are many creative ways to take down properties without credit.  That starts with building your network locally.  To that end, we are having our next Happy Hour Meet Up Nov 7th at 6:30pm. Here are the details. 

Cheers!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here