Are modular homes a good idea?

4 Replies

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to buy a new property to live in. I found out about modular homes recently and the whole concept intrigues me. What do you guys think ? Pros and cons? Thank you.

Pros, if you find a good manufacturer they take weather exposure out of the build and really can produce a great product. Bad: lots of hidden costs, footings and foundation, zoning of the area, warranties, etc.

There are mobile home laws, manufactured homes (Which should fall under the residential code) and traditional stick built. I'd take an architect designed prefab over site built any day, not accounting for impact/regional materials "going green" ideas.

Question:  Modular vs Mobile?  Mobiles have all non-standard parts; doors, windows, plumbing, making repairs nearly impossible.  I would avoid these in all cases.

Modular is basically the same as site built except its made in a factory then permanently put in place at the location you desire

@Account Closed ,

Here's what you need to distinguish:

"Modular" sometimes refers to two (or more) "manufactured" sections assembled together on-site, usually on a slab. These are sometimes seen on the highway on flat-bed trucks. They look like halves of a trailer without wheels.

"Modular" can also mean a home stick-built in a factory in sections ("modules"). The modules are then assembled onto a traditional foundation / basement on the home site. These types of modular homes can be put up in 2 or 3 days once the foundation and floor of the first level are built on-site. Once finished, they are typically indistinguishable from a home stick-built on-site. These can be single story SFRs, 2 or more story SFRs, multi-story residential MFRs, or even mixed use commercial (uncommon). Other types of modular structure also exist.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here