The Best Cities for House Flippers Right Now!

18 Replies

I was happy to see Phoenix AZ make #9 on the list and my hometown Denver made #10! ;)

Is your city in the top 10?  Do you flip out-of-state? Are you making these kinds of margins?

Realtor.com®’s research team ranked the 100 largest markets by the ratio of flips to all home sales. They defined a flip as any home – single-family, townhome, or condo – that was purchased and resold within a 3- to 12-month time period. (Note: They did not include deals that ended in foreclosure or had a negative profit compared to the original purchase price. Also, they selected no more than two cities per state to feature in its full list available at realtor.com®.)

The following markets topped its list for home flipping meccas:

1. Deltona, Fla.

• Ratio of flips to all home sales: 4.0%
  • Median flip profit: $45,830
  • Median list price of all homes: $262,000

2. Stockton, Calif.

• Ratio of flips to all home sales: 3.9%
  • Median flip profit: $71,050
  • Median list price of all homes: $355,000

3. Nashville, Tenn.

• Ratio of flips to all home sales: 3.8%
  • Median flip profit: $48,500
  • Median list price of all homes: $330,000

4. Tampa, Fla.

• Ratio of flips to all home sales: 3.6%
  • Median flip profit: $50,500
  • Median list price of all homes: $240,000

5. New Orleans, La.

• Ratio of flips to all home sales: 3.5%
  • Median flip profit: $78,300
  • Median list price of all homes: $252,000

6. Los Angeles, Calif.

• Ratio of flips to all home sales: 3.0%
  • Median flip profit: $89,000
  • Median list price of all homes: $675,000

7. Knoxville, Tenn.

• Ratio of flips to all home sales: 2.8%
  • Median flip profit: $58,450
  • Median list price of all homes: $223,000

8. Providence, RI

Ratio of flips to all home sales: 2.7%

Median flip profit: $76,000

Median list price of all homes: $311,000

9. Phoenix, AZ

Ratio of flips to all home sales: 2.6%

Median price gain: $42,500

Median list price of all homes: $300,000

10. Denver, CO

Ratio of flips to all home sales: 2.5%

Median flip profit: $42,500

Median list price of all homes: $480,000

View the full list as well as more about the study’s methodology used at realtor.com®.

Not sure if those median profits are true. Who really knows or gives out their real profit. I believe you could make more or less, but it also has too many factors to believe stats. Hard money is about 150/day in most LA and SD, but on uber hot, you could close in a few days, while it is true that in other areas where ARVs are low, it might be that their DOM is really high. All I can believe is the ratio of flips to total home sales, and maybe median price, as these are probability statistics and public record.

So a better metric IMO would be to weight the outcome with the % gain in value by the flip. High value markets like LA and Denver have very low margins. Homes are expensive, improvements are extensive and % returns are small. Just another bit of information that confirms most Realtors know nothing about flipping or buy and hold.

It's probably just the difference from sales price 1 to sales price 2. So you had to subtract the actual rehab and the holding cost from that number. I mean, how would they know how much profit a rehabber makes on a flip?

@Matt M. are you flipping in Denver?  

I have a couple of friends who flip there and even when I go back to visit I'm amazed at what rehabbers are doing to the little brick houses in my old 'hood!  Gentrification with ultra contemporary architecture! 

Originally posted by @Bevla Reeves :

Absolutely. It's great if you can FIND a deal. There are too many guys willing to settle making $10k-$20k on a flip; they outbid most everyone else. That's why I was joking about Denver being ranked. There just isn't enough action out here.

I've averaged about $60k on each of the 3 I've done so far this year. My minumum spread to even go after a project is at least $40k, so that's why I've done so few. Buy you know what, I haven't lost money;) 

@Matt M. same thing is happening here in PHX!  I see guys paying way too much for the acquisitions, I know some of them have to be losing money or barely making a profit!

But if they can do it in volume they can make money...got to have your construction crew on salary or be a GC who can cut costs on the repairs!

It's a seller's market here right now and properties in popular areas are very expensive!

Originally posted by @Matt M. :
Originally posted by @Bevla Reeves:

Absolutely. It's great if you can FIND a deal. There are too many guys willing to settle making $10k-$20k on a flip; they outbid most everyone else. That's why I was joking about Denver being ranked. There just isn't enough action out here.

I've averaged about $60k on each of the 3 I've done so far this year. My minumum spread to even go after a project is at least $40k, so that's why I've done so few. Buy you know what, I haven't lost money;) 

I like your style. There is a prominent rehabber in Knoxville that will openly tell you if he thinks he can make $10k on a house he will buy it. He does a lot of volume this way but I don't see the allure. 

I think shooting for $10k-$20k is extremely risky!  

Especially if you're rehabbing the older homes that hipsters are flocking to if the rehabs are high-design... it's easy to over improve the designs plus, you never know what you're going to find once you open up the walls!! ;))

Originally posted by @Bevla Reeves :

Realtor.com®’s research team ranked the 100 largest markets by the ratio of flips to all home sales. 

I fail to see how the highest amount of competition makes a market the best for a flipper!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here