Brand New! ( Where to start?/Sharing my story)

5 Replies

Hello everyone!

My name is RK Rasos, and I'm a relatively new real estate agent. (And no...I'm not here to beg for referrals or anything).

In my first year as an agent, I've come to find that there are not many investor-friendly agents out there(or maybe I haven't met any). I do not want to be grouped with a bunch of low-information agents, so I've decided to focus a good deal of my time to learn as much about investing as possible. I'd love to provide my clients with the best service possible. I've listened to a couple of BP podcasts, and I plan on frequenting this forum A LOT.

I also plan on investing as soon as I have enough saved up. My parents own a few rental properties, and I definitely would feel comfortable have a couple(or a lot) of my own. I'm leaning towards the Buy-Rehab-Rent-Refi. approach, and then flips sprinkled in afterwards.

As someone who's relatively new, which direction would you point me? 

Which books should I read? 

What podcasts to listen to(other than BP)? 

Any general tips that you would give a newbie?

Maybe someone can post some informative links in the forum as well.

Thanks for taking the time to read the post...And even more thanks if you take some time to reply!

- RK

Welcome to BP!

I myself am taking my real estate courses right now, to help assist in my investing. I'm supposed to be done mid December, so I'm sure you could probably give me some guidance in that respect :)

As far as investing books I'm going to start with Brandon Turner's rental property books. I listened to the audio books and found it really easy to listen to, and it had a wealth of compiled information.

Hopefully you have read Robert Kiyosaki's almighty Rich Dad Poor Dad. He has a bunch of books but I have only read What the Rich Teach Their Kids About Money and Cashflow Quadrant. Both being great starting points.

I also enjoyed Gary Keller's Millionaire Real Estate Investor. You may be familiar with his book Millionaire Real Estate Agent. I have read both and found them to be very helpful with a large number of examples of real life people have done it, exposing the systems required to be successful in the field.

Listen to podcasts and audio-books every time you get a chance. And search the forums, there is months worth of articles to read even just on the BP site.

Best of luck,

Anthony Beckham

Thanks for the reply, Anthony!

It's quite funny that my parents got me into a lot of Kiyosaki's content early on. I played the Cashflow Quadrant board game, and was forced into the audiobook during commutes to school. I think a majority of it flew over my head, but subliminally made me very interested in using real estate as way to achieve long-term wealth. I do plan on going back to internalize all the information! I'll check out Keller's MREI as well. 

I'll also take the time to check out Brandon Turner's books, as well as binge on those podcasts.

Best of luck on the licensing courses, by the way. It's definitely a good way to save a couple extra thousand on those deals!

It seems like I overlooked the new member introduction page, so I might just go ahead and repost this there. Whoops.

Hello RK

I'm an new investor here in Buffalo NY. I joined a REIA group in buffalo and it brings together agents and investors for monthly networking. Just google REIA in your city. The one I attend is free and I've met so many wonderful people that are willing to share and help any way they can. There are some groups that charge a membership fee and eventually I'll probably do that too because it's on the other side of town.

I just read the E myth and it's great. It's an easy read and has lots of advice on how to go forward in RE and make money.

Deb

hi deb i would love to hear about the details on your flip when you close if i can assist in anyway email me on the system here or my private email on my profile page look forward to hearing from you

@Deb Paternostro

I'll check E myth out. I've actually heard a lot of good things about it. I was also planning on check out a couple of the REIAs in town. Thanks for the suggestions and best of luck in your future investments!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.