Lesson Learned... need a new Accountant in Milwaukee!

7 Replies

Hello,

Last year I went to an accountant that someone else I knew had worked with and his reviews seemed to check out online.  Unfortunately, he clearly didn't know much about income properties and overlooked a lot of things that I even knew were deductions.  Does anyone have a good CPA that they've been working with that knows how to handle income properties in the Milwaukee/Wauwatosa area?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Hi @Tim A.   Yesterday a BP member @Daniel Hyman a CPA from Milwaukee posted on one of my conversations.  Works for http://myonlineaccountant.co/real-estate-services/ Perhaps you can try him. Anyway GoPackGO!

I use Eric Trost at SVA. 

A similar situation happened to me and my partner year one in REI. We went to the same accountant we always had and although she only charged us $50 to do them, we found out you get what you pay for sometimes. She actually made an error and I got fined for it. Although she offered to pay the fine, I wanted my tax return reviewed by someone else. I was referred to Eric Trost by some local REI coaches and so I had him look over my taxes. For $400, he filed an amendment that ended up getting me $5600 back. I have used him ever since and although he may be pricier than others, in my opinion he is worth it and he is knowledgeable in all areas of real estate investing.

Thank you all!  There are definitely some good leads here that I will need to look into.

Tim

Good thread - something I have been thinking more about as this year will be my first year with an income property expenses/income and just to make things more interesting, we grew our family as well :)

Will need to look into these leads and any more that should follow.

Brian

@Brian Head

Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

You definitely need someone qualified, does not have to be a CPA, could be an Enrolled Agent or an attorney. Just make sure they specialize in tax and have significant experience dealing with real estate investors.

Here is a great list of questions to ask a potential accountant: http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/51/topics/7044...

Also check out the www.NAEA.org page in your search. It should help you find someone local. If someone comes to me, I'll send them your way.

If you need help in your search or want to verify something don't hesitate to ask.

For example: I have clients worldwide and things are just as easy as I e-mail them, talking on the phone. I even use Skype and TeamViewer to communicate with clients so I'd highly recommend looking for one of the best with great references that interviews well with you.

So look for someone you can connect with that works out for your situation.

Feel free to ask here if you have questions

I just spoke to Eric Trost and he quoted me $650 to review last years taxes and to submit for 2016. Does this sound high to the rest of you?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here