Money free, really????

28 Replies

I am new to the idea of real estate investing, wholesaling and flipping. I know that I work way too hard for the little amount of money that I make at my current job. I am killing myself and missing out on family time.  I have found a whole slew of YouTube videos about wholesaling and rent to own that it seems a little bit too easy.  Are there any folks out there which are working in the Springfield Missouri area that have had success in wholesaling and rent to own field? I appreciate your time and efforts. 

Justin Lloyd. 

Rent to own homes and wholesaling don't happen over night. You might want to start out with wholesaling which you can do with the rent to own homes also if done correctly. You shouldn't try to do it on your own, but find a mentor or attend REIA meetings to hear from other investors.

If it was that easy we would all be multi-millionaires. A lot of that stuff is guru garbage and they want to sell you their special secrets that only THEY know! I just posted in another thread about becoming successful in real estate. Education comes first. You can get that on BP, becoming an agent, books, etc. You will also need some money. That is a fact. If you have an education and can demonstrate that to others, they may be willing to invest with you. I have found family members, friends, and others willing to lend money but they know they WILL get paid back without problems. You are already in a great place to learn (BP).  Make a game plan. Once you have the plan, then you can start working to reach your goals. 

Originally posted by @Justin Lloyd :

I am new to the idea of real estate investing, wholesaling and flipping. I know that I work way too hard for the little amount of money that I make at my current job. I am killing myself and missing out on family time.  I have found a whole slew of YouTube videos about wholesaling and rent to own that it seems a little bit too easy.  Are there any folks out there which are working in the Springfield Missouri area that have had success in wholesaling and rent to own field? I appreciate your time and efforts. 

Justin Lloyd. 

If it seems to good to be true, it usually is. That commonly heard phrase is especially true in the real estate investment world. This is a tough business, I feel like I have to go to battle for every dollar I earn.

Thanks for the help everybody. I really do want to do good and make smart buys. I am wanting to climb my way out without causing more debt to come in the way. 

Read The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Wholesaling.

@Derek Curtis I will definitely check out the book. Do you have any experience doing wholesale in the Springfield area?

@Justin Lloyd Hey, I want to reemphasize what @Gena Kirkwood said. No strategy in Real Estate Investing happens over night. Fortunately if you can put in the effort and determination to learn and apply it, the opportunities are endless. There is a REI group in Springfield that meets monthly and includes a beginners meeting as well. I can pm more info you would like. That would be a great place to begin to learn about the local market and find experienced investors to help lead you in the right direction. Education is extremely important but also useless without action. Good luck and reach out if you need anything!

@Andrew Newlon thanks for the information. If you want to send me a pm that would be great. I am very tired of working overtime at my current job with so little to show for it. I like the idea of wholesaling, flipping and holding and am very interested in building a great financial future for my family.

@Justin Lloyd the REI meetings that @Andrew Newlon is talking about is the same group that I told you about on the other post. You will definitely meet a lot of local investors there. 

@Justin Lloyd I actually just began my first marketing campaign here in town a week ago. Whilst far from successful, I have at the least gotten started. The best thing that I did was join the REI group in January. I've met so many other investors and have learned a lot. You should check it out and see what you think!

@Derek Curtis I will definitely do that. Springfield is my home town and I think it could be a great place for investing.

@Justin Lloyd are you different from the 100,000 people who say they are going to build a business and then disappear after things get hard.. not everyone is an entrepreneur, are you?

Look you will have a ton of people say it can't be done, and a ton of people that want your money and say it can be done. The question is can you stay with it long enough?

Anything can be accomplished, we see it every day.

If you want something go get it! And yes it is that easy!

Yes there is a ton of bs online how you can become rich with no money or education. That's all crap!!!!

If you want 10x the life, work 10x harder!

To many people are influenced by people online, weather it be good news or bad news!

If your going to make it big you have to NOT give a sh%t what anyone thinks, and decide your going to de the best!

You can make it in real estate if you decide and have a ton of patience! What avenue of real estate will be determined over time.

To your success bud!!!!

@Joseph Caracappa flat to the point. I have a lot of doubters and want to prove them wrong. Thanks for the encouragement. I have no doubt things with real estate can be tough. I have read a lot already about the get rich quick stuff and have heard of things that sound to good to be true. I am going to glean bp forums and all of the advertising Cebu have gotten so far. Again, thanks for the advice.

Meant advice not advertising.

The guys who run the Springfield REIA group do a lot of creative no money down deals, subject to, seller financing, etc - find them and check out their monthly meetings. They know their stuff.

st went to my first REI group lunch and was blown away, in a good way of course!! I want to thank @Gena Kirkwood for the invite. The discussion about rentals was great and I am very optimistic about what my financial future holds. Everybody was welcoming in the group and seemed like they want to work together

Justin next Thursday is our main meeting if you want to go as my guest. Doors open at 5. Meeting starts at 6 p.m. It is at the Hilton Garden on Republic Rd & Glenstone. It is a much bigger meeting with lots of investors and they provide some snacks too. 

Sounds good. Is there a cost for the meeting?

Your 1st time is free. Sometimes they'll let you go to a few of them. Eventually you will have to decide if you want to join the group. I think that I'm paying $65 every 3 months and that includes all of the sub-groups also. Most of the sub-groups are in the evening except for the Landlord Lunch that you went to. If you get there around 5 then you can mingle, put your name in on some raffles and eat (no cost). The food goes quickly! Several speakers will be at this meeting talking about how they got started. Go here for more info: https://www.reinvestorgroup.com/ and if you get there before I do just sign up at the table (west end of lobby) and tell her that you are my guest. 

Nice to see some one from springfield on here. I have people I know in real life who live in the area. Tell me something, how is the economy? How many homes you see are borded up? One of the ways to know how well properties are selling, is find out the time on market. If several post sale comps are selling at 60-90 days, then something is wrong with the area. 

Hi @Justin Lloyd - I know what you mean about working your butt off and not having anything, or much, to show for it.

REI can help, but as with everyone else has been saying, it's not going to happen over night.

With a job, a business, and family....it's hard to find the time to learn, network, search and finally look at properties. But I finally bought my 2nd SFR. Take your time. Don't rush. You'll encounter tons of learning experiences along the way.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.