What should I ask a realtor?

6 Replies

Hey guys, I found this property on realtors app. I wanted to get more information because it could be a property I can house back. What questions should I ask the real estate agent handling the property?

@Will Flores if you have not retained Buyer representation, that would be my first suggestion. The information you got off the website may not be up to date, and if you had representation they would be able to show you up to date info, in addition to providing you professional advice during each step of the process. In virtually all transactions the representation for the buyer is paid by the seller.

Hope this helps you out :) feel free to reach out if you have any other questions.

@Brandon L. Thank you for taking the time to respond. I'm sorry but I'm just getting used to the jargon but what do you mean by buyer representation ?

@Will Flores I always compare it to having a lawyer when you go to court. The real estate agent that is handling the property that you want to contact works for the seller, and by law must put the sellers priorities above yours. 

If you retain your own agent, it is paid for by the seller, and you will have someone that can put your priorities first, and they will be able to give you up to date info on every property that is on the market, along with a lot of other professional services. 

Im about 10 minutes from putting up a blog post that I wrote about the subject. So if you give me a few minutes you can check out my BP blog to get more details.

Updated over 1 year ago

Just wanted to update my answer with the link to the blog I mentioned. https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52695-buyer-representation-is-free--why-are-you-not-using-it?created=1

@Will Flores I did, here is the link:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52695-buyer-representation-is-free--why-are-you-not-using-it

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.