MLS Access

9 Replies

Is there a way of gaining access to MLS without having to keep bothering an agent every time I need something. I don't mind asking the agent for assistance if there's something in it for them, I don't work for free, and I don't expect someone else to either. But most of the time im just researching properties or trying to get the pulse of an area or such.

@Gerald Marshall this is a great question, and i hope you get help, but i will tell you what i know. Many agents they will give their access to their clients especially for those who had deals with them before and they trust in them. Also, there is another way that if you can speak to your agent so he or she can register you in the MLS as an assistant. and the only difference between the membership as an agent in the MLS and the membership as an assistant is that you will have a full membership exactly the same as an agent, but the only missing is the pass key for entering the preferred property. Therefore, if you like to check a property, you need to speak with your agent, so he/she can ask or provide you the access password for the property.

Good luck 

@Hadi Alajmi , thank you for your reply.  I'll contact my agent later today and ask her about it.

Thanks

Any agent that either gives you their log in, or sets you up as an assistant, is putting their own access at risk, and is a fool.

This post has been removed.

@Gerald Marshall I totally agree with @Wayne Brooks . If you want access to the MLS without the assistance of an agent the best method is to become a licensed agent, or one of the licensed occupations that is granted access to the MLS.

Originally posted by @Brandon L. :

@Gerald Marshall I totally agree with @Wayne Brooks . If you want access to the MLS without the assistance of an agent the best method is to become a licensed agent, or one of the licensed occupations that is granted access to the MLS.

"or one of the licensed occupations that is granted access to the MLS."

What are these occupations?  I read that appraisers may have access.  I'm wondering if inspectors might attain access ? (Not interested in the assistant to agent route at the moment).  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

@Josh Thalheimer your local mls or real estate association should have a listing of the occupations that are allowed access in your area. 

Thanks Brandon. I suppose I'll focus on the watered down 'MLS' tools that are available to me now. In my market, Redfin looks to be my best option.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here