• Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Vermiculite Asbestos In Attic

Chuck A.
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Posted Feb 8 2017, 15:39

Hi ..

Looking for a little advice.   I am in process of buying a house and through a home inspection found Vermiculite insulation in the attic.   Vermiculite was used years ago and is know to contain asbestos.  In doing my own research and talking to some contractors, it seems that it can cost 10k-15k to remove it.   

I know that many say leave it alone and don't disturb it,  it is ok as long as it is not airborne,  but in this house the HVAC system and duct work is in the attic which concerns me.  Also, since I am the buyer I dont want to have issues down the road when I go the sell the property.  In the state of Indiana you have to disclose if you have have asbestos based insulation.  The seller marked "No" to this questions.  I am assuming he didn't know.  So, I am leaning towards having the seller take care of this, however I think given the cost it might be a deal breaker.

Another thing is that there a few small piles of Vermiculite in the attic, the rest is on the floor of the attic but does have wooden boards over it.  I would love to hear if anyone has dealt with a similar situation or cheaper ways to deal with it.  @Desirae Putzier any suggestions ?

Thanks

Loading replies...