• Arizona
Votes |
Price Reduction Request after Offer

Sheryl Griffin
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Arizona
Posted Mar 12 2017, 09:03

Made offer on a house - offer accepted.  Now I'm in the 10-day inspection period (per the contract), and inspection and contractors find "mildew" - indicating potential mold exists - throughout the home.  Plumbing, electrical and HVAC all need completely replaced...this part we had a good idea of, but the excess costs including the mold are escalating beyond what we budgeted for since this is a 3,000 sf house.  So we asked for a price reduction on our 9th day with a 24 hour response.  The seller wants 3 days to look into it (this was verbal from their realtor, not in writing), get contractors, etc.  If mold exists, and seller did not disclose, only put N/A in contract, their Realtor says I signed a contract that says "as is".  If that's the case, then what's the 10-day inspection period in the contract for?  We are just 19 days away from closing...that will put us at 16 days from closing.  The profit potential is good, but it's a very old house, too, and even the contractor says to allow a larger cushion for more potential we find along the way.  I'm asking for a $15K price reduction.  I'm also thinking of wholesaling as my exit.  I fix and flip and do buy/holds - I've never done a wholesale.  

Questions:  

• Can seller ask for more than 24 hours to respond - not in writing?
  • If we decide to walk should I wait until their response or move on?
  • Since this is a "major defect" found during inspection, am I due the EMD back?
  • Is this sufficient time remaining to do a wholesale?
  • Suggestions?

Loading replies...