Bryan Wilson
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
Land Contract with Family

Bryan Wilson
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Posted Mar 20 2017, 07:26

Hello everyone, 

Curious your thoughts on a contract to purchase land with family.  I have a plot of land in an ideal location of Palmer Lake, Colorado right on the lake.  The property could sell for approximately $120k and is only going up in value.  My grandma has offered it to me at $90k.

My question revolves around a fair seller financing deal for the both of us.  She is 85 and would have no problem entering into a long term contract, but the rest of the family might have issues.  

I was hoping to offer a 15 year fixed contract @ 3% to match up with IRS requirements.  

My other option I considered was 30 year amortized, 10 Year Balloon payment due same interest rate.  

Any ideas that are better? As far as the above options it will depend on what the family is willing to accept. I have a primary residence I would sell and receive a decent amount of equity and can construct a new home on the lot. I can use conventional/FHA financing on the construction with one of the lenders I do business with so a large amount of the equity will be retained and would leave me enough to cover the balloon payment in 10 years.

What does everyone else think?  

Loading replies...