How to purchase second investment property with low money down?

5 Replies

I recently purchased a duplex, which I rent out one side and live in the other. I've contacted my local lender and they say I need 25% down to purchase a second investment property. Ive also contacted a hard money lender and they will only finance 80% of the purchase price. I don't have that kind of money right now and want to proceed with my real estate investing. Anyone know how I can purchase a second investment property and only put 5-10% down? Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Learn about creative financing. Lease options, options, owner finance, contract for deed, sandwich leasing, etc. You can partner/JV with someone. There's many ways to overcome the restraints a bank would put on you.

Refinance your FHA to conventional. Purchase next property closer to work, use FHA again, have to live in it.

@ derrick dill Wouldn’t he would need at least 20% equity in the property in order to refinance to a conventional loan. Im assuming he used a FHA loan for the duplex he has now. And don’t you usually have to pay another set of closing costs when you refinance. Also I believe lenders usually will only refinance up to 85% of the appraised value of the property which also cuts into the amount of equity you have.

Im actually in the exact same situation right now

@Chad Proctor - owner financing is the best route but I've found difficult to find one that cash flows. Another option is to partner. Joint venture or LLC with someone who can provide the other 10-15%. PM me if you'd like to talk more about the process.