Renting out Campers/RV's on Airbnb, good idea?

Renting out Campers/RV's on Airbnb, good idea?

Hurst, TX · Member since 2016 · 192 posts · 114 votes
Hey BPers! I recently bought a house in Arlington, Texas, very close to the Dallas Cowboys and Texas Rangers stadiums. And Six Flags, Hurricane Harbor and situated 30mins away from Downtown Dallas and Downtown Fort Worth respectively. Great location! I thought about putting a camper, RV or tiny house in my backyard to Airbnb out to visitors. Is this a good idea? What Camper would be best for this? Or would an RV or Tiny House be better? Thx for the feedback! Stevo in Hurst
1Reply
71 views

Most Popular Reply

Evan FarrenPro Member
Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 7 votes
9y
Hey Steven, We currently have an Airstream (vintage trailer) on our property that we Airbnb. We prefer to rent only for short term trips because the camper is meaningful to us and we don't want to risk it getting messed up. However, we make around $300-500 a month (have had people offer $5000 for 4 months, but again we don't want people living in our beloved airstream for long period of time). So pretty nice supplemental income. And, potentially, awesome income if you're okay with long term tenants and plan to get a nicer trailer. A couple things to consider depending on the type of trailer. You will need it hooked up to sewer and utilities. Which will cost money up front it not already established. (And monthly) If you do not do this, you would need to empty the holding tank (bathroom waste) frequently and also run an extension cord for power. Not ideal.. Need to also consider other luxuries other Airbnbs provide unless you're going for very low price point clients. I included our listing if you want to take a look at what we provide. Good luck!
See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 745 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Steven C. Suarez:

    Hey BPers! I recently bought a house in Arlington, Texas, very close to the Dallas Cowboys and Texas Rangers stadiums. And Six Flags, Hurricane Harbor and situated 30mins away from Downtown Dallas and Downtown Fort Worth respectively. Great location! I thought about putting a camper, RV or tiny house in my backyard to Airbnb out to visitors. Is this a good idea? What Camper would be best for this? Or would an RV or Tiny House be better? Thx for the feedback!

    Stevo in Hurst

     I don't know that I can help with you original question, but have you thought about renting out a spot for an RV for those same events, that way you don't have the cost of buying an RV or tiny home.

  • Hurst, TX · Member since 2016 · 192 posts · 114 votes
    9y
    That my be a good idea. Rent it and sublease it. Depends on what the difference would be money wise. Plus, couldn't they just do that themselves, cut out the middleman? 🤔
  • Littleton, CO · Member since 2014 · 39 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    This seems like a great idea. I was just traveling in CA and saw a couple similar places listed on Airbnb.  If you could do one in your backyard or a small community for a few tiny houses/campers where you lived close enough to host it. 

    The one thing that you would likely need is a bathroom of some sort on site. 

    Very interested to see if anyone else has experience here on BP doing this as well.

  • Evan FarrenPro Member
    Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 7 votes
    9y
    Hey Steven, We currently have an Airstream (vintage trailer) on our property that we Airbnb. We prefer to rent only for short term trips because the camper is meaningful to us and we don't want to risk it getting messed up. However, we make around $300-500 a month (have had people offer $5000 for 4 months, but again we don't want people living in our beloved airstream for long period of time). So pretty nice supplemental income. And, potentially, awesome income if you're okay with long term tenants and plan to get a nicer trailer. A couple things to consider depending on the type of trailer. You will need it hooked up to sewer and utilities. Which will cost money up front it not already established. (And monthly) If you do not do this, you would need to empty the holding tank (bathroom waste) frequently and also run an extension cord for power. Not ideal.. Need to also consider other luxuries other Airbnbs provide unless you're going for very low price point clients. I included our listing if you want to take a look at what we provide. Good luck!
  • Evan FarrenPro Member
    Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 7 votes
    9y
    It will not let me post the link but if you search Fort Lauderdale, FL, the title is glamping in Fort Lauderdale
  • Real Estate Agent · Salt Lake City , UT · Member since 2017 · 155 posts · 92 votes
    9y

    I agree with what Evan said. I have a close friend that rents his out in utah. He clears about 1k per month with an airstream in his drive way. You will need to worry about sewer waste but aside from that it is an awesome idea. 

  • Hurst, TX · Member since 2016 · 192 posts · 114 votes
    9y
    Thanks y'all, I'm super excited about doing it! And I'll document my progress on LIVE LET THRIVE ... it's me and Myka Artis podcast about everything Airbnb and the share economy. I'd love to get an airstream, they're the coolest!!
  • Hurst, TX · Member since 2016 · 192 posts · 114 votes
    8y
    Myka Artis here's the post and convo with Evan Farren !!
  • Hurst, TX · Member since 2016 · 192 posts · 114 votes
    8y
    Evan Farren hey bro! Your episode is up on Live Let Thrive, check it out!! :)
  • Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    Hey all, we are wanting to purchase a camper to use as an Airbnb on our property. Does anyone mind sharing what they have done regarding taxes? How can we write off the purchase of the camper and it’s use? Thanks in advance!

  • Philadelphia · Member since 2021 · 1 post · 0 votes
    5y

    Does anyone know of any RV Resorts that may allow you to keep you RV for a season and then rent out the RV? I am looking into an RV and trying to find a place I can Airbnb/Rent Directly for the summer.  

    I don't yet own my own property that has a place I can hook it up, so was trying to think if there any resorts (PA/NJ/DE ideally) where I can leave it seasonally, yet that would allow me to rent it out as well.  I know most places may have rules and it will be case by case, but I guess I am more or less asking of anyone has had experience in renting an RV not for someone to drive around with for a week, or that does not sit in their own driveway.  Is it even possible?

    I am a newbie so any info is greatly appreicated!

    -Angie

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.