I Feel A Little Skeptical

4 Replies

I got a lead on a 4-plex and after doing some research I discovered it has been sold twice in the past 3 years. It looks like a great property and I am about to plug the number in the BP calculator but does that seem a little odd that it has been in 'that many' hands over such a short time? It is a sturdy brick home with 2 recently renovated units. I am going to actually view the units (the unoccupied, renovated units) tomorrow. He also has it listed for a little less than it shows he paid (I don't know how much credit to give Zillow for accuracy on that though). I asked the seller why he wanted to sell and he said it was taking too much time from his business which just seems a little odd since it's being managed by a property management company. I am a newbie so experienced advice is needed.

I would check with the city. I have personally found that if a property has traded hands a number of times and if it has no problems (layout is fine, rentable area, major systems are fine), sometimes I find that there are zoning or restrictions as a result of the city. 

I might also see if it's the property management company is the problem. Maybe everyone has been using this company and they just don't perform the way they should. 

9 times out of 10 though, you're not going to dump a performing asset especially at a depreciated rate.

the seller could be motivated by a need for cash

Definitely good to be suspicious when a property turns over a lot.

It could be the seller needs the cash because of something else going on that has nothing to do with this. Or something more sinister.

That seems like a lot but it could be just the current owner has other unrelated issues.  As mentioned take your time to check with code enforcement --  I would go see them and/or ask them to do a walk through with you...always good to be on the right side of that department anyway.  Put extra time in due diligence which unless you are accomplished at it should include a property inspection.

I once closed on a house that had sewer liens  --  paid them at closing only to find out a week later the house wasn't hooked into the town sewer and needed to be...turns out here if the sewer line travels within X feet of your house you still have to pay the minimum even if you are not hooked in...

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here