Phone number - local or not

5 Replies

Just looking for a general opinion here. Do you think it matters if you have a "local" phone number as a real estate wholesaler or agent? My current phone number is 7 years old and has an area code of 978. Not local. There is however a local area code of 972 and yes, I have had to repeat my area code since moving here to make sure local businesses don't input the wrong phone number on my account. That doesn't really bother me so much. I am slightly concerned that someone may pick up one of my "marketing pieces" or what have you and write down my number wrong or simply disregard me because my number is obviously not local. Am I over thinking this? Should I change my number or keep it?

Hi @Debra Grumbach . I do believe local businesses have an advantage over those that are clearly "not from around here." I don't see any benefits to marketing a non-local number.

Fortunately, there's a fast, simple and free solution: Get a Google Voice number and forward it to your 978 number. Assuming Google Voice still has 972-code numbers, you could have this matter resolved in the next few minutes.

Originally posted by @Mitch Messer :

Hi @Debra Grumbach. I do believe local businesses have an advantage over those that are clearly "not from around here." I don't see any benefits to marketing a non-local number.

Fortunately, there's a fast, simple and free solution: Get a Google Voice number and forward it to your 978 number. Assuming Google Voice still has 972-code numbers, you could have this matter resolved in the next few minutes.

I've considered Google Voice but was wondering if that even sounds professional. I recently had to call someone who had a google voice number and I thought it was pretty odd. Is there a way to customize the message that says "google voice will connect you" or whatever it says.

@Debra Grumbach Yes, I agree that having that "Google will connect you" message is pretty tacky. Fortunately, that feature ("Screen calls") can be easily turned off. If you set things up to "Forward calls to linked numbers" all incoming calls will ring to your 978 phone displaying your 972 Google Voice number on caller ID.

I truly love Google Voice!

And, did I mention it's free?!?

I have Google voice and it workes out pretty good. My only complaint is that I can't find a way to change the ringtone so I can tell if someone is calling the Google number or my cell phone.

We use our out of town area code to our advantage. We lived in Hawaii for a few years so my wife has an 808 number, this is pretty impressive and a nice back story to tell to our small, no stop light town in coal country Ohio.

For our tenants we use google voice. It's easy to pair to different phones and has email. Which is nice for both my wife and I to keep track of txt/emails from tenants. Plus it's free! 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here