Getting Comps without a realtor

8 Replies

Hey All,

Does anyone know of a way to get comps for a property without going through an agent? Any reliable sites/tools out there besides the Zillows of the world?

Hello @Dan M. , there are quite a few resources out there for licensed agents but unfortunately the ones available to the general public, like Zillow, are rather lackluster. Realtor.com actually pulls from the MLS so it is more accurate than Zillow and Trulia.

Full disclosure, I am an agent based out of Portland, OR. I would definitely suggest finding an investor friendly agent in your area. They provide a lot of value and most will do things like a CMA without requiring you to sign anything. We work a lot on the belief that if we help someone, they will likely use us if they ever do need our help. So reaching out to a realtor in Pennsylvania to do a full CMA couldn't hurt.

You can use Zillow Redfin and Realtor.com. Find properties that have sold within the last 6 months that have around 20% of the same square footage. I use these sites all the time. They pull data from the MLS.

@Dan M.

Many investor friendly agents will help you. For instance I'm a realtor and when I have an investor client also looking off market I just tell them that as long as they work with me for whatever they see on market I'm happy to help them with comps if they are also working off market. 

I think you can still get some support as long as you are fair with the Realtor and they know that if you do something on market that you will work with them. It's a trust thing. 

Just saw this and based on my response I obviously agree. 

Originally posted by @Jacob Wathen :

Hello @Dan M. , there are quite a few resources out there for licensed agents but unfortunately the ones available to the general public, like Zillow, are rather lackluster. Realtor.com actually pulls from the MLS so it is more accurate than Zillow and Trulia.

Full disclosure, I am an agent based out of Portland, OR. I would definitely suggest finding an investor friendly agent in your area. They provide a lot of value and most will do things like a CMA without requiring you to sign anything. We work a lot on the belief that if we help someone, they will likely use us if they ever do need our help. So reaching out to a realtor in Pennsylvania to do a full CMA couldn't hurt.

@Dan M.

I am a Realtor in Malvern and can help you with comps.

Use Zillow, Trulia, Realtor, etc... then confirm the sold prices on your Assessors website (assuming it is good/accurate). I approach it like an appraisal, take the subject house, find the best 5 comps, and adjust the values up/down based on SF, rooms, acreage, etc... use that to give me an average of what it should sell for. This helps me with an idea of the price, but also ammunition when the appraiser comes (learned a lesson on that one).

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here