Selling your 1rst property

3 Replies

After taking initiative, landing the deal, and successfully completing renovations, how can you be sure your property is going to sell?

@Taylor Nunn I would recommend starting with the end in mind. When you find a property that looks promising, work with a real estate broker to conservatively estimate the after-repair market value (ARV) of the property that's supported by plenty of comps. That should give you a fairly reliable selling price. Then see what expected profits are after estimated deducting purchase, rehab, and selling costs. If you're comfortable with the estimated profits, and you have a reliable expected selling price, then it's probably a good deal. Hopefully that helps a little.

Originally posted by @Chris Jensen :

@Taylor Nunn I would recommend starting with the end in mind. When you find a property that looks promising, work with a real estate broker to conservatively estimate the after-repair market value (ARV) of the property that's supported by plenty of comps. That should give you a fairly reliable selling price. Then see what expected profits are after estimated deducting purchase, rehab, and selling costs. If you're comfortable with the estimated profits, and you have a reliable expected selling price, then it's probably a good deal. Hopefully that helps a little.

Originally posted by @Chris Jensen :

Thank you for the reply! Great insight. I guess my real question is, how do you know the house is going to sell in the area I decide to buy in? How do you decide your confidence level in knowing it's going to sell? I don't want to get into a situation where I buy a house and have it sit there because no one wants to buy it. I'm in a town North of Chicago. Not the best, but not the worst. I see a lot of opportunities, but am afraid nobody wants to live here.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.