Water found in the basement

2 Replies

Hey everyone, does anyone know the regulations for water in the basement. I am in escrow for an investment property in Kansas City, Mo. During the 10 day inspection window the home inspector found water leakage in the basement. It appears the water is coming from the shower down there. I will most likely shut it off. That’s no problem. The issue is mold. Should I worry about water damage and mold or is this common with basements? Thank you :)

@Marcello Oliveri mold is an issue if it is contacting drywall or wood.  If you have a poured concrete slab and foundation - you might get a little mold but it is easy to remove.

Additionally, mold isn't a huge issue.  Everyone is scared of it for no reason. Tear out anything the mold is on. Spray the area to ensure it is gone with a mold treatment. Prevent the water from returning. Have the air ducts cleaned when the reno is complete or before you put any tenant inside the property. Then have the house tested for mold. Boom. That is it. None of these are expensive or hard. They protect you and more so they protect a future buyer or tenant.    

Best of luck to you. 

Thank you very much. I really appreciate all the great info. Straight to the point.. I ended up not getting the property. I found other issues during the inspection and decided to back out.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here