Will that be a good buy?

4 Replies

Hi Team,

Can someone help me determine if this deal is a good deal or not? It's a duplex in the Atlanta, GA area.

The asking price is: $118K

The house will need some improvement to raise the value. Estimate work: $25k

The ARV: $125K

NOI: $9,700

C0C ROI: 10.71%

Currently rent at $600 which could bump up to $700 per unit after repair.

I wanted some room on the investment so the house does not go over market value after repair. I put an offer for $100K but the seller counter my offer with $118K. Please help me calculate this deal.

Thank you team.

They won't go below $118K, it needs $25K of work and that would make it worth $125K.  So you would have to spend $143K to get a property worth $125K. What's your question again :-)?

That says it all. l just estimated the amount of work it take based on touring the property. 

Thanks. 

Hey @Watson Josue ! The response from @Jon Holdman says it all, but I would also add that your numbers seem suspect.

First, NOI: At $600/mo/unit, you're looking at Gross Income of $14,400 annually. Your calculations assume Annual Expenses of $4700. Did you arrive at this number by factoring in property taxes, insurance, vacancy, maintenance, and management, or did you just assume it would be 33% of income?

Those back-of-the-envelope ratios can really get you in trouble: I strongly recommend always using actual data and conservative (if not "worst-case") estimates for expenses. Here in Metro Atlanta, property tax data are just a Google search away. Any decent insurance agent can quote you an annual policy premium. Management expense is pretty standard at 10% of rent. A vacancy rate of 1/12 (8.3%) is pretty safe. You get the idea.

Second, Cash-on-Cash Return is cash coming out divided by cash going in. If your cash out is truly $9700, and you paid $100K to acquire plus $25K to renovate, your CoCR is 9700/125000, which is 7.76%, not 10.71%. And that's not including transaction costs or holding costs.

Hi Mitch,

As the first timer, I think I was miscalculate this deal. Somebody has countered my offer on that deal, well not too bad then. Will it be possible to connect?

Thank you for the explanation.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.