METH FOUND ON MULTI-UNIT! help needed

11 Replies

Hello BP Family, so im in the middle of closing in a multi-unit in salt lake city Utah and I just got the meth test results back "Salt Lake County currently uses 1.0 ug/100 cm2 or higher as the decontamination standard for any mitigation action for a property. The levels found at this home were OVER with a reading of 27.0ug/sample (about ten times the limit deemed safe)."

what should i do?

Im thinking of backing out, since im not sure if even if i was to remimdiate it if im legally now obliged to disclose it every time. Unless i get an amazing discount im really not sure where to go form here. I am just getting cost estimates for remidiaiton.  

thanks so much guys!

I thought you meant CRYSTAL meth was found on the property!  HAHAHA!  That's the whole reason I opened this post.  I was curious about your drug woes.  (No offense!)  As for the more boring kind of meth, I don't know.  I'd back out, but then, I don't know anything about it.  Good luck with whatever you decide! 

I bet YOU wish it was crystal meth found, too.  That's a lot easier to get rid of, I bet...  ;-)  Good luck!

I’d make a few calls to get an idea of costs to clean it out. Ask for atleast that much off your purchase price and close it if it’s a good deal. If you don’t want it even still then wholesale it!

What makes this property so special you're willing to do all this extra work? If you can't answer that... on to the next one.

You could always make the deal contingent on the seller getting the house re-mediated to fall with the meth limits given by the city.

Thank you Matt,

Well i guess that's a very good point, 

one cash flow is great and for two multi-units are quite low in stock =( deals come deals go that is true, but im just doing some extra due diligence work. thank you so much for the input though!

@Oscar Chirinos , my wife is a real estate agent here in Utah and she said it would need to be disclosed on the seller's disclosure form that is submitted to the state. If you were renting it you probably wouldn't have to tell the tenants, but it would be public record if they ever looked into it, and it's good practice to be honest. 

I don't know if I see it as a big deal if you have it decontaminated and rehab it. I would view it the same as disclosure of asbestos, lead paint, and decontamination of those things. I wouldn't hesitate to live in a house where all of that was taken care of. If the decontamination works with the numbers, I wouldn't necessarily walk away just because of that.  

seems to be like any other repair... roof, foundation etc... get it covered with a good buffer, or haul bass...

Meth remediation is no joke, @Oscar Chirinos .If this is your first experience with it, you may wish to walk away from the contract. Remediation is expensive. 

So It's confusing,,, ARE YOU the SELLER ?? or BUYER ??

As seller you would need to disclose to any other buyer... and I'd get remediation costs calculated.. Do you realize how hazardous this is to work with,, I'd rather deal with asbestos. 

If your buyer,, walk away..

Originally posted by @Jody Schnurrenberger :

I thought you meant CRYSTAL meth was found on the property!  HAHAHA!  That's the whole reason I opened this post.  I was curious about your drug woes.  (No offense!)  As for the more boring kind of meth, I don't know.  I'd back out, but then, I don't know anything about it.  Good luck with whatever you decide! 

I bet YOU wish it was crystal meth found, too.  That's a lot easier to get rid of, I bet...  ;-)  Good luck!

What is this actually referring to if not methamphetamine?   I did a quick google search while trying to answer that myself and did find this link, which might help the original poster.. (it does look like they are talking about methamphetamine) https://slco.org/uploadedFiles/depot/fHealth/regs/...

@Nicky Reader , wait, so it WAS a meth lab at some point?  I assumed it was like methane or meth-something else.  Beats me!  I'm still following this thread for educational purposes, but once I saw there wasn't drug drama (they make for interesting stories), I lost interest except academically.  lol  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here