Advice regarding a recent buy

8 Replies

Hello Biggerpocket, 

This platform has been very helpful in increasing my insight into real estate and really appreciate everyone's input.

I am almost end of the process of buying a property in Houston.

Purchase price :154k, 2007 built, 2160 sq feet, decent school ratings.

May rent for $1395

20% down

Cash flow after all expenses PITI, management 8%, vacancies 5%, repairs 5%, leasing 1/2 month rent per year- will be around $60.

Was it a good buy with so low cash flow. Any advice for future buying and is it still good to buy anything in Texas! 

All inputs highly appreciated 

@Souji Kumar   I invest 2 hours outside of Houston and I would say that cashflow is a little low for me.  A 2.3% return on your downpayment is not too good.  I also think that your estimated 5% vacancies and 5% repairs are a little low.  I estimate 10% vacancy and 12% repairs/capex.  Personally from what info you have given me, I would not buy this property.  I could purchase 2 properties for 154k and both of them would easily rent for $1,250 a month.  I would double check your numbers and make sure you are not buying a negatively cash flowing property because with the info you gave me it looks like it will be close. 

@Ryan Detig , where do you invest near Houston?

I thinks it's late now as I already paid for inspections appraisal and initial escrow deposit. What can be done from now 

@Souji Kumar   I invest in South east Texas.  Beaumont, Nederland, Groves, Port Neches area.  Have you gone past your option period? Obviously everyone has different financial situations and maybe a negatively cashflowing investment (is it an investment at that point?) aligns with your current financial plans but I would be very cautious about this.  I think you  should get some advice from someone that knows the area of the property, run your numbers with the local person input, and be prepared a make a tough decision regarding moving forward or backing out and potentially loosing your deposit.   

This cashflow looks slim.  I would see if there is a way out of the contract without losing your deposit.

@Souji Kumar

If you keep all expenses as you estimated them, but raise the vacancy to a full month a year, you would break even or effectively have 0 cash flow with 30K+ out of pocket. I would suggest looking for another deal. 

Losing your earnest money deposit is better than losing your shirt every month on an investment. 

Education and knowledge is sometimes EXPENSIVE!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.