Analyzing A Potential Deal

3 Replies

Hi all! I'm analyzing the numbers of a SFR property I found on Trulia before I reach out to a real estate agent to look at the property. I have not done any deals yet but this one looks promising to me because the owner has a tenant in the property until September 2018 and the property only costs $10,000 so it seems like my risk is pretty low starting out. The city is one to which my wife and I plan on moving in the next year, and one where I currently work, so we would not need to pay property management fees for at least this first year.

I have a few questions for you pros on here:

1) When investing, should I purchase with a 15, 20 or 30 year mortgage? The 30 year option yields me about the $100/mo net, but I prefer a 15 year mortgage to pay off sooner. Cash flow, though, is my primary objective.

2) I've attaches some photos of the income/expense sheets. Could someone look these over and correct me if I made any errors?

3) Do I need to account for replacement reserve if I have accounted for repairs and CAPEX already?

4) I don't have an exact number yet on how much insurance would cost annually, but that's an estimate based on some other properties in the area I know of.

Thank you so much in advance!

I think if you are focused on Cashflow I would go wth the 30 year mortgage option. If you are focused on Cashflow the name of the game would be to generate the largest return for your $ invested. I would focus on Cash on Cash return.

The screenshots seem reasonable below. I would also incorporate a line for vacancy.

I think as long as your account for CapEx and then from an operating perspective you add any unspent CapEx into a reserve account you will be fine. Including both in an analysis seems a bit duplicative.

Hope this helps!

Thank you @Jim Murray !

I also just learned from my real estate agent that lenders typically do not render mortgages for under $50,000. So now I'm in a rough spot because I want to get started investing but do not have the capital yet from my family income, and I do not personally know any private lenders. Suggestions?

@Nate Estelle Best route would be to go to a local REIA group in your area to find a private lender.

Also, BP is a great resource to find a lender. It is amazing at how much money is out there to fund deals. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here