Advice Needed! Triplex under contract!

3 Replies

Hello everyone! I recently just got my first real estate deal under contract. Here is a breakdown to provide some context:

Property is a Triplex, asking price was $135,000 and I got it under contract for $94,600. All three units are currently leased for $425, $425, and $450 a month, which is about $125-150 a month below market rents per unit. One tenant has been renting the unit for 10 years, the other for 8 years and the final a little over 1 year. The property could use a lipstick renovation (paint, cleaned, new flooring in bathrooms, etc.).

I do not plan on holding this property. While it is a great deal, my goal is to build some capital to funnel into some flips. So my question is, should I spend the time and money into doing a small renovation and bring the rents up and then list it for sale? Or should I just throw this property back on the market and sell it as is? The current appraised value on this property is $125,000. Just checking to see if I am missing anything. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

quick math = $1,675 monthly rents (market rate, tenants pay utilities) minus $600 ($200 per door) = $1,075 times 100 = $107,500 is the most i would pay for this property.  i buy and hold, so consider me the person you are going to flip it to.  this might be a better deal if you assign the Contract to someone (buy & hold person), rather than try to flip it.

Theses numbers looks good. Cap Rate for future buyer on as-is also close to 10%, which is decent if you are able to sell it back at $125K.

Theses numbers looks good. Cap Rate for future buyer on as-is also close to 10%, which is decent if you are able to sell it back at $125K.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here