Boyle Heights CA Anti redevelopment

10 Replies

Hi BP,

I am originally from LA and I am interested in Boyle Heights, CA near DTLA (Downtown LA) and I have been reading about a lot of anti gentrification protests going on and anti- redevelopment resentment happening. Has anyone invested or know of anyone that has invested that has experienced this or seen this?

Usually the anti-gentrification crowd comes from the latest group of gentrifiers.

Here's one of the groups that doesn't want redevelopment https://www.facebook.com/defendboyleheights/

I bought a house in Boyle Heights a year ago. The protestors are mostly preoccupied with art galleries and this one particular coffee shop. They seem to mostly be interested in generating media, as opposed to actual solutions for displacement and evictions. I met one protestor who is a bicycling advocate, but who is opposed to adding bike lanes to the neighborhood.

It's not entirely clear what the motivation of the protestors actually is. The leaders of DBH and BHAAAD don't even live in Boyle Heights. 

https://www.facebook.com/DefendBoyleHeightsfromDef...

Anyway. Two weeks after I bought my house, someone cold called me and offered to buy it for $100,000 over what I paid.

I've been reading a lot about it too . They actually drove at least one art gallery out. 

They don't seem reasonable at all . It's ridiculous they would protest a small independent coffee shop . A Starbucks actually opened recently in Boyle Heights but they are fine with that.

I've also heard a lot of the protesters are from out of the area . 

I don't think it reflects the attitude of most that live there .. but I don't view it as a positive.  The thing is they've gone beyond protest and actually defaced property and committed vandalism and I've heard of threats of physical violence . 

@Eric Spiegelman wow $100k more two weeks after buying  , did you sell it ?

I bought a duplex in Boyle Heights about 2 years ago. I live in the front and rent out the back unit. I haven't had any negative experiences with that group of immature racist complainers. The movement is so annoying in that it is based purely on bullying and racism (in my opinion). The group claims to be in favor of uplifting the community by keeping rents low and blocking any investment in the community. I don't think their steam will carry through though because it seems that most of them are all immature, angry, individuals, and all are in their early 20's. Furthermore, they have created tension with long standing community members and community advocates via social media, and blogging. It baffles me how a handful of people think they can dictate who is allowed to be in "their City." I think they need to get off of the pitty-potty and instead of investing all of that time spewing hatred online, they should be hitting the books; they could have finished their masters degree by now. 

@Jacqua Le Fleur , yeah it has been disturbing seeing what that protestors have been doing. I heard that some aren’t even from the Boyle Heights area but I have no idea , I really wouldn’t be surprised .

What I’ve seen happen in L.A is that gentrification eventually happens , but it just gets slowed down.

So in the meantime the area stays higher crime and run down .

There was a recent article in the L.A times I just read about how MacArthur Park /Westlake area is gentrifying . Of course there are still the activist types that think people should able to pay $800 rent forever , when market rents are more than double that .

This is the article if you are interested

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-westlake-district-20170211-story.html

Thanks @Joseph M. Its a great read. 

Originally posted by @Joseph M.:

Jacqua Le Fleur , yeah it has been disturbing seeing what that protestors have been doing. I heard that some aren’t even from the Boyle Heights area but I have no idea , I really wouldn’t be surprised .

What I’ve seen happen in L.A is that gentrification eventually happens , but it just gets slowed down.

So in the meantime the area stays higher crime and run down .

There was a recent article in the L.A times I just read about how MacArthur Park /Westlake area is gentrifying . Of course there are still the activist types that think people should able to pay $800 rent forever , when market rents are more than double that .

This is the article if you are interested

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-westlake-...

Some of the advocates have "non profits".  When you make a significant contribution or settlement with the "non profit", they will stop hassling you.  Similar to what we have seen with some political "foundations".  Same idea. 

@Bryan Miller sounds similar to the Mafia .

I wonder if these organizations are being investigated by government authorities.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here