• Rental Property Investor
  • West Haven, CT
Votes |
How to structure lease in a House Hack situation

Jack Bailin
  • Rental Property Investor
  • West Haven, CT
Posted Nov 7 2017, 09:26

Alright, so I'm currently actively looking for my first deal, a house hack, and I have a few properties I'm visiting this week. All of them are multi-families, either 3 or 4 units. As I hope to have one under contract very soon, I'm starting to consider how to work out lease agreements, particularly in the case of the unit I will be occupying myself. I'll use one of the properties I'm going to look at on Thursday as an example.

The property is a triplex, 3/1.5, 1/1, 1/1. The numbers work very well, provided I live in the 3/1.5 and find two roommates to live with me, while renting out the 1/1's. Lease agreements for the 1/1's will be no problem, but I'm a bit confused on how to approach structuring a lease for roommates that I'd find to live with me in the 3/1.5.

Has anyone else out there come across a similar scenario, and if so, how did you handle it? I'm also very open to general suggestion on how to approach this situation. I figure it's in my best interest to start thinking about this now, and not when I'm on my way to the closing table! 

Thanks a million everyone, this community has taught me everything I know thus far about real estate, and I'm about to start turning my dreams into a reality!

Loading replies...