Investing in Baltimore

13 Replies

Hi I live in San francisco and New York, invested in different states. I'm visiting Baltimore to visit some Multi-family ( 7 apt) investing opportunities around John Hopkins University during the weekend of Nov 18.  Any Advice or Anyone in the area wanna grab a coffee?

@Conyee Chan I am not close by but I do know that is a decent area. Keep in mind in Baltimore just a few blocks in the wrong direction can make a big difference in values. Remington which is a neighborhood nearby is a developing area.

@Conyee Chan I am not in the area but I am trying to build my real estate portfolio there. I currently have property there that I am in the process of getting rented out. I am also from San Francisco so when you are back in the City I am interested in grabbing coffee to hear about your strategy in investing out of state. 

@Conyee Chan  

The suggestion I would give would be to look at the development plans for the next few years and plan accordingly. Paying attention to the surges and population growth in and around that particular area. John Hopkins is definitely a staple in the community which employs the most amount of residents in Baltimore. However the surrounding impoverished areas will be gentrified at a modest pace, so it would help to know where the next surge of development is taking place. Yet, there is always the possibility of redeveloping areas before the masses does and gain all the appreciation when the inevitable occurs. 

Heres an analysis the Baltimore Market; MetroOutlook-2016-4-Baltimore.pdf

Baltimore purchase numbers look great when you live in expensive areas like parts of California . Dont let the numbers deceive you . It changes block by block . Building inspectors can be very difficult , taxes are high . Crime rate is high .  Experienced locals make mistakes 

Originally posted by @Matthew Paul :

Baltimore purchase numbers look great when you live in expensive areas like parts of California . Dont let the numbers deceive you . It changes block by block . Building inspectors can be very difficult , taxes are high . Crime rate is high .  Experienced locals make mistakes 

What he said. And Baltimore City is VERY tenant friendly.

I highly recommend investing in Baltimore.

Everybody uses "Baltimore changes block by block" phrase which is true but it doesn't describe everywhere in Baltimore city.

If you are a Californian,want to invest in Baltimore and spend half or quarter of what you pay in California, you can end up finding houses in very decent neighborhoods, minimal crime, decent renters etc...

However, investor who pays 2 million dollars for a dublex in California, New York or even DC, tries to find a house for 50k in Baltimore, yea then it changes block by block because it is only 50k.

You need to find a partner who know the city really well. The differences block to block cannot be overstated. Just because something is in a city development plan does not ensure the outcome. Also look at how long you are willing to hold property. Parts of Baltimore are improving but it will be a long time before a lot of Baltimore lives up to its "Charm City" nickname. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here