Anyone see Slab homes in Northwest Indiana? Issues? Common?

6 Replies

Anyone in the greater Northwest Indiana Region see many houses built on slabs?  Slab common in the area?  Any defects? Anyone know builders that do Slab in the area?  Lake County, Porter County, Merrillville, Hobart, Gary, Valparaiso, LaPorte, Michigan City, Munster, highland, griffith, crown point, Chesterton, Schererville, Hammond, 

Thanks! 

I did HVAC in the Michigan City/Southwest Michigan and I can’t say I worked on a lot of slab built houses but they did exist. All the duct work was in the concrete on most. I worked in crawl spaces more than anything else unfortunately.

It’s funny you ask one of the houses I am looking at is on a slab with all electric heat. That had to be one high electric bill during those winter months.

What kind of things are you looking for in particular with slab houses.

Sorry read over your post again. I can honestly say I never worked for a builder who went this route on a new house. I am not sure anybody builds without some sort of crawl space or basement but I may be wrong about that.

Slab homes are everywhere. It's the cheapest option. Crawl spaces cost more and basements even more. There are entire subdivisions made with slab and crawl space is an upgrade if you want. HVAC is in the attic when on slab. I'm talking from a first hand experience, I own a duplexes and townhomes on a slab. No issues, just the floor is pretty cold in winter. Too expensive to retrofit with infloor heating.

I have on the few houses in Michigan city on slab. One had the HVAC ductwork in the floor while the others had the ductwork in the attic. I had no issues with any of them. The floor does get a little cold, but I wound up putting in laminate floor with an underlayment on them. I never got complaints from the tenants.

The main issue with older slabs is the HVAC was put in the floor. Over time, it rusts out and sand, ground water, mice can get in them. Then they need to be filled in with concrete and a reverse floor HVAC through the ceilings is installed. But they make great rentals because you don't have to worry about flooding basements. 

Hey @Darren Day , I just bought two houses on slabs in NWI. One in Hammond, and one in Hobart. I see them pretty often!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here