Lease Purchase agreement

3 Replies

I'm new to the site so any and all information or direction is greatly appreciated. I've wanted to get into real estate for quite some time now and I think I have the perfect start, but I don't know where to go from here. I currently live in a house that I have a lease purchase agreement on. The purchase price is for about $50k less than market value. So instead of purchasing it myself, I think I would just rather sell it, cash in the equity difference, learn some stuff from the deal, and do more deals. But where do I go from here? Is there certain verbiage that needs to be in the agreement? Should I find a buyer myself or let a realtor bring me a buyer?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!

@Brandon Metzler - depending on the wording in your current Contract/Agreement, you "may" be able to simply Assign the contract to another buyer. (Disclaimer) However, I'm not a legal advisor and so would recommend you have a chat to a local attorney about the situation. Make sure you find someone familiar with Lease Options though - ask around these forums, I'm sure someone will know someone in your area who can help.

If you'd like to have a chat, I'd be happy for you to give me a call to discuss further (after 3:00pm EST please).

Originally posted by @Brandon Metzler :

I'm new to the site so any and all information or direction is greatly appreciated. I've wanted to get into real estate for quite some time now and I think I have the perfect start, but I don't know where to go from here. I currently live in a house that I have a lease purchase agreement on. The purchase price is for about $50k less than market value. So instead of purchasing it myself, I think I would just rather sell it, cash in the equity difference, learn some stuff from the deal, and do more deals. But where do I go from here? Is there certain verbiage that needs to be in the agreement? Should I find a buyer myself or let a realtor bring me a buyer?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!

Who knows what your Lease Purchase says? Only you and the seller!. So, read the Lease Purchase! There is a date that you have to exercise the Purchase by (usually). Put the house on the market, get a buyer and do a "double close" where your buyer pays you for the amount you decide and you pay off your Lease Purchase which presumably, if it was done properly, you have a purchase price and pay it off. You get to keep anything left over. Piece of cake.

Thank you for the help guys. One of the reasons I ask is because my current agreement is coming to an end, but he will sign another agreement extending it. So I want to make sure that in the new agreement all the wording is proper. Do either of you have an agreement that you use that maybe I could have a sample of?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.