If You Could - Who Would You Take for Lunch?

28 Replies

I asked myself the following question but still don't have a clear answer - wonder what your answer will be.

**If you could take someone from the real estate (investing) world out for lunch - who would you pick?**

BTW, I had met Robert Kiyosaki (and Kim) in an intimate reception some years back and saw Tony Robbins speak at least once - so they were not on my list.

@Dani Beit-Or  

Honeslty, the guys I wanna have lunch with the most are here on this site.  I sure hope to have lunch with them in the course of the next 10 years or so as our vacation and travel plans take us to their neck of the woods. 

Here is my list.

@Steve Vaughan  

@JD Martin   

@Jay Hinrichs (he’s prolly to busy, but hey it’s my wish list) 

@Joe Villeneuve (although I disagree with his leverage philosophy, I still wanna chat with him) 

Prolly more I’m forgeting. 

Originally posted by @Joshua D. :

@Dani Beit-Or  

Honeslty, the guys I wanna have lunch with the most are here on this site.  I sure hope to have lunch with them in the course of the next 10 years or so as our vacation and travel plans take us to their neck of the woods. 

Here is my list.

@Steve Vaughan  

@JD Martin   

@Joe Villeneuve (although I disagree with his leverage philosophy, I still wanna chat with him) 

Hey @Joshua D. Anytime you want to chat just letme know

Originally posted by @Joshua D. :

@Dani Beit-Or  

Here is my list.

@Steve Vaughan  

@Jd Martin   

Likewise Josh - I'm humbled to make that list.

Wow, thanks @Joshua D.   I'll be sure to let you know next time we are travelling through to MN where my wife has a lot of family.  Would be my pleasure!

A couple cool guys from the bay area would be on my lunch wish list - @Minh Le and @J. Martin .  These guys both have awesome why's.  Lovin' life, travel, family, peace.  That's where it's at for me!   

Tom Vu, of course ;)

That’s why:

With Salt N Pepa playing in the background....ta ta ta da da, push it good, ta ta ta da da push it real good!

Ben Leybovic for sure. Favorite podcast guest. Only problem is if I got my wish I'm nowhere near the level yet to be able to run with his advice. Some day!!!

Originally posted by @Dani Beit-Or :

I asked myself the following question but still don't have a clear answer - wonder what your answer will be.

**If you could take someone from the real estate (investing) world out for lunch - who would you pick?**

BTW, I had met Robert Kiyosaki (and Kim) in an intimate reception some years back and saw Tony Robbins speak at least once - so they were not on my list.

The Lerner Family - but not to talk real estate, but baseball.  lol 

Originally posted by @Caleb Heimsoth :

Abraham Lincoln

Never knew Abe Lincoln was a real estate investor. Was he for real, or you missed that part of the original post.. 

@Chinmay J. I was simply answering the header question. If you want REI related I'd say Fred Trump (Donald's Dad).

he or she doesn't know it yet, but the one who will become my financial partner..... in matter a fact I'll treat to the nicest lunch in NYC. on a real note Marcus lamonis
Michael Gessner, Contractor

Too many people come to mind between BP’ers and others that I’ve been exposed to through other podcasts or events, but if pressed, I’d have to say Grant Cardone!

@Steve Vaughan , it's an honor to be named :) And have had the pleasure of lunch with @Minh Le many a time :)  Last time, he took me in his Tesla!!! ;-p  
Steve, if you're in SE Asia between now and April, would be happy to buy you a beer :) (Too cold in the US right now. Going snorkeling in Phuket this week, then get my Scuba/PADI lesson! ;)
I'll be at @Dave Van Horn 's Mid-Atlantic Summit in April in Philadelphia. And I'm in Seattle every once in a while. So hit me up! (my number's on my profile).  And live and enjoy the life you want! ;)

My choice: 
Scott Shatford, founder of AirDNA, and cowboy of rent-to-rent short-term biz :)

Thanks for the plug @J. Martin ! (FYI for anyone who is interested, we plan to officially launch later this week!) And Scott Shatford is a very interesting choice. 

This is a really good question.

If I had to choose a public figure, I think I'd go with Barbara Corcoran. I've always liked her story of coming from humble beginnings and how hard she worked to build a strong, successful real estate business.

Though I should say, some of my favorite people to think about sitting down with aren't really well known. A lot of them are these low profile guys, who weren't in the public eye. Many were local developers I had come to hear about over the years, usually working in commercial or land. Every town seems to have at least one of these guys. In fact, the first few people I looked up to were successful developers I worked for as a contractor. 

For example, there was a local developer to me named Bernie Hankin. Years and years ago, he developed a large portion of the county in South Eastern PA where I live today. In fact, I used to work for him and his company as a young contractor. Back in the late 1970's and early 80's, we used to make the hour or so trek out to this undeveloped area to work on his new construction projects. I remember it being just empty fields as far as the eye can see. It looked nothing like it does today (a highly populated suburb). I actually worked in his personal home, met him and his wife briefly, but unfortunately I never got to sit down with him. I'd love to pick his brain knowing what I know today. He was truly a class act. He was family man, drove a Ford station wagon (nothing fancy), and even way back then I think he was worth hundreds of millions of dollars; with 1000's of acres and countless projects in development.

He saw decades in advance, what not many people could. Looking back with hindsight, I don't know if it was exactly rocket science what he did. From what I can tell, he essentially studied population growth trends and cleverly bought land at the right time near the developing Pennsylvania Turnpike. But that's just how he made his fortune. He spent it just as admirably, building the local libraries in the area (and giving them to their respective counties), awarding endowments for residential building construction studies, things like that. So he wasn't just some builder who had money. He would build a community, literally and figuratively with his projects and charitable spending.

But now you've got me interested. This is something I'd like to hear from some of my other friends on BP. Who would you pick: @Dan Butler , @Brandon Hall , @Brian Adams ?

Warren Buffett..... but I heard he's pretty expensive for lunch!

Here's Who Won the $3.46M Charity Auction for Lunch With Warren Buffett

"The winner and up to seven friends can dine with Buffett at the Smith & Wollensky steakhouse in midtown Manhattan. An anonymous bidder also paid $3,456,789 to win the 2012 auction."

HOWEVER, to save Lunch Money.... I would take every single member of BP out to Lunch instead of Warren Buffett!

Barry Sternlicht and Sam Zell. Two studs in the real estate game. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.