Cost To Hook Up Water

2 Replies

Hi Guys

I am in the process of developing some land just outside of Palm Springs. I have spoken with the water company in the area and they have told me it will cost $17,000 to hook us up to the supply (which is already on the street). This seems absurd given there is already a supply in the area.

Anyone with experience that can guide on a normal price range?

Cheers

Hey Michael, I have been in the water and sewer industry since I was 16 working for my uncle, I might be able to help. How many feet of line will they be running? Also, is the main line close to your lot? How many water meters and branch off services are you doing? We just need to get a more narrow idea of what it is you are doing.

Also, you might be able to shop around and get a few more quotes from other small business. The good part is, if it’s a simple waterline service job they are usually pretty competitive, and if you share the numbers their competitors gave with them they will usually try and beat it.

I wouldn’t at all recommend that you go with someone that doesn’t have any experience, when someone hooks up a water meter incorrectly and or forgets to put stiffiners in they poly lines before putting on the copper fittings, you will be digging it up eventually to fix some leaks.

Thanks for the reply Seth. This was Desert Water (the local water company) that quoted that. The main line is in the street and just a 1 inch line needs to be run to the house (which will be circa 30-40ft from the supply). I have the contractor to do all the necessary digging etc. but the water company are indicating this is their cost

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here