Newbie Seeking Advice About Notes

6 Replies

Hey BP, I am brand new to both BiggerPockets and real estate investing in general. I’ve done some research, read some books, took an online training course (wish I had found BP before spending the money on all of that), but have yet to make my first deal. I am hoping to purchase some notes to generate passive income to help cover the cost of my own mortgage and student loan debt. My problem is that I’m not sure where to find and buy them. I’ve search through the forums and found a few post, but most of them are a few years old, so I’m not sure if they’ve become outdated or not. Could somebody point me in the right direction? Or if you have any other advice, that would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

There are quite a few places where you can buy notes online.  FCI, loanmls, PPR, notesdirect etc.  Just to name a few.  Welcome.

@Robert Fisher
What are you looking for ? Performing /non performing etc. are you looking for 1sts or 2nd’s ?

You can buy off those exchanges but you will pay retail for them. Best to start to network and build relationships with people and you will begin to buy higher up the food chain.

It does truly depend on whether you are looking to be a note investor or looking to buy one or two for yourseld

@Chris Seveney

I think I'd like to get my feet wet with some performing notes.  Ideally, I'd love to get into non-performing as I realize there is more potential there for profit.  When I say I'm hoping to buy a few to help cover some costs, that's just to get me started.  The end goal is have enough notes and rentals to live off of the passive income and then flip or wholesale as I find the right deals.

My reason for starting with notes is to cast my line in the biggest pond and get some deals under my belt.  Perhaps nationwide renting is actually the biggest pond, but I'd prefer to stay in my area until later down the road with rentals.  Especially since I live in a town that has 3 colleges in it - including one that has grown by thousands of students over the last 10 years (Liberty University) and continues to do so (currently at 15,000 students on campus).

@Robert Fisher . I've been in real estate for the past 15 years and you mentioned you live in a town with 3 colleges in it. Wow, that would make me salivate all day long. I'd forget notes and go for college rentals. Your ROI is going to be much higher and more benefits than notes. Just my opinion.

@Kevin Felmlee   Ideally, I'd like to get there because of the gold mine I'm sitting on, but I don't have the personal funds (or have any investors) at this point to break into the market.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.