Applicate doesn’t want to let me know credit score or income

15 Replies

Hi all , Never happen to me before but for this rental I have on Arlington Texas. Many people doesn’t want to offer me credit score or income over the phone . They want to see it first. The other hand I don’t want to waste my time . Is this normal on Texas? Thanks

For one thing, not everyone knows their credit score. 

When I'm on the westcoast I usually rent and I don't think I'd give them all of this information until I've determined that I actually like the house and want to apply. 

Instead of asking them what their income and credit score is.. just tell them what the minimum qualifications are to rent your place. 

For example, Ive told my potential renters that the owner requires a minimum credit score of 650 with a household income of at least double the rent. People will usually respond, no problem I fit that criteria and then we schedule a tour. If they don’t they usually let you know. 

One thing I like to do is line them up all at the same time to see the property.  Make it a party.  Normally I'll do something like 6-7pm...tell everyone to show up then.  Creates some competition and sense of urgency and save me time.  That also helps me wasting time with no-shows.

Many people don't know credit score.... I would tell them the requirements when they call to set up appointment..... 3Bed/2Bath/1car.....basic rental requirements are X credit score, no pets, 3-4x income.  

I also ask them for email to send them the requirements and let them self select out.

@Liz C.
Yes it’s normal. My applicants are hesitant to give any type of information over the phone or email until seeing property.
As other posted I typically let applicants know what are the minimum requirement so they are aware.
I recalled asking for credit score and job info and applicant was hesitant in providing info before seeing, his reason was because he was concern about identity theft..

Tenant screening is the most important part of being a successful landlord. I do a phone screening first to find out about income, credit history, number of occupants, why they are leaving the current residence, etc. If the applicant is not willing to share the info I move on to the next applicant. If they pass the phone screening then I make an appointment for viewing and tell them to bring the supporting documents (pay stubs, utility bills, application fee, copy of drivers license). They have to call me one hour before the scheduled viewing to confirm that they are coming otherwise I don't go to the property. 

Tenant screening is one of the most important aspects of real estate. Set your expectations for income and credit score and a lot of times that will weed out people that know they don’t meet the standards. If they don’t know their credit score have them go on credit karma they’ll know within 10 minutes. Take control of the process if they don’t want to comply they don’t want to rent from you.

One of my rentals turns over often in an area with limited rental competition, people tend to be very forth coming when they call. Another rental is in an area with intense rental competition, most callers are a PIA, they know they are in the drivers seat, often no show on appointments, show up late, the list goes on.     

Originally posted by @Liz C. :
Hi all ,

Never happen to me before but for this rental I have on Arlington Texas. Many people doesn’t want to offer me credit score or income over the phone .

Rightly so because if they don't want your house the information you are asking for is none of your business.

Originally posted by @Ihe O. :
Originally posted by @Liz C.:
Hi all ,

Never happen to me before but for this rental I have on Arlington Texas. Many people doesn’t want to offer me credit score or income over the phone .

Rightly so because if they don't want your house the information you are asking for is none of your business.

Our application process is you fill out an application and pay the fee for credit and background check.

If you have an eviction, or outstanding collections against you, we likely wont rent to you unless you.  If you have bad credit,  a convincing background story (lost a job in the recession), Super high income, have shown a turn around (ie a new job), we MIGHT take you on with a double deposit.

I would much rather go with a vacancy than take on someone who is going to play games.  IF you are unwilling to let us check background or credit, we will just pass.

Originally posted by @Bart H. :
Originally posted by @Ihe O.:
Originally posted by @Liz C.:
Hi all ,

Our application process is you fill out an application and pay the fee for credit and background check.

If you have an eviction, or outstanding collections against you, we likely wont rent to you unless you.  If you have bad credit,  a convincing background story (lost a job in the recession), Super high income, have shown a turn around (ie a new job), we MIGHT take you on with a double deposit.

I would much rather go with a vacancy than take on someone who is going to play games.  IF you are unwilling to let us check background or credit, we will just pass.

And that is all irrelevant if the applicant doesn't want the house and until they have seen it they don't know whether they want it or not. 

Your problem is an over-entitled attitude. 

Because you have a house you don't have a scintilla of respect for the applicants right to the privacy of their confidential information. 

Unless you were a broker and I would never give that information until I was filing out an application. If a LL asked required income and credit before hand then that is a red flag and I would be avoiding that property like te plague... giant red flag about that landlord... it is perfectly fine though if they list the qualifications and ask if the tenant meets those qualifications.

Over entitled Landlords or Over Entitled Tenants? 

Sounds like a good new thread title, can we all agree to learn from each others bias? 

When you advertise the property for rent you post photos, info about the house, the neighborhood, etc. When they contact you they have a pretty good idea about the home and are interested in renting. But you have no info on them. If you are willing to drive to the house without pre-screening and wait to see IF they show up and IF they qualify is certainly your prerogative. I've been doing the landlord thing for a little while now and speaking from experience.

Originally posted by @Gregory B. :

Unless you were a broker and I would never give that information until I was filing out an application. If a LL asked required income and credit before hand then that is a red flag and I would be avoiding that property like te plague... giant red flag about that landlord... it is perfectly fine though if they list the qualifications and ask if the tenant meets those qualifications.

Yes, I may not have been super clear.  Obviously our realtor does showings etc.  The personal data and application fee would be expected once an application was made.  

My point is we are willing to have vacancies instead of leasing to individuals who are not able or who are unwilling to pay their rent.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.