Do I need 2 years of work history?

10 Replies

I recently graduated from college and I'm looking to buy my first rental property in the Reno/Sparks, Nevada area. I want to find a multi-family unit that I can live in and rent out the other units. I am still in that phase after college where I am looking for my full-time career, but currently only hold a part-time job. I have good credit, but I'm not sure if I have enough for a proper down-payment yet. 

I would like to purchase my first property this year (2018) and I have done some research, but I would like more information and advice on this subject. I am super excited and eager to get started! Thanks!

@Vincent Pirrone

Unfortunately you're probably not going be able to use traditional financing until you get two years full time work history.

You could get creative though, using a co-borrower, buying subject-to/lease option, things like that.

Check out a mortgage with SoFi (social finance). They have a number of options for student loans, personal loans, and mortgages, and seem to cater to your kind of situation. I've gotten unsecured personal loans from them and found them very easy to work with. 

@Vincent Pirrone if your education was used to get you the job you have today then you can count that as work history.  DM me and ill see if I can get you preapproved. 

2 years go by quickly hang in there.

@Vincent Pirrone If you have a great deal, it's not that hard to find a partner (someone you already know) that can get financing. Someone you know has a great income, access to some cash, and or good credit history. You bring the deal and be willing to do all of the work and you should be able to sell them on the idea. Be willing to take a subordinate equity position, at least on the first deal. Eventually, you will not need to find a partner because you will have established work history, credit, and equity in the first deal that you can use as collateral.

Yea, that is true and doable. Thank you for the advice!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.