Mortgages for less than $100k

13 Replies

I have always heard that you couldn’t get a mortgage on a property under $100k. I never knew why you couldn’t I just accepted it as fact. Do you or anyone you know have any experience with these less than $100k loans?

My minimum is 50K but every now and then make an exception. There is not much profit in these smaller loans. 

@Max Cohen , afaik, you'll find the common consensus around BP is: minimum $50k!

Edit: Aah, John Thedford replied 30 seconds earlier than me. I rest my case...

I've read posts on here from other users saying they were able to find banks and/or credit unions that write loans under $100k. Unfortunately I don't recall specific referrals but if you dig around you'll find them. They do exist! 

Originally posted by @Max Cohen :
I have always heard that you couldn’t get a mortgage on a property under $100k.

I never knew why you couldn’t I just accepted it as fact.

Do you or anyone you know have any experience with these less than $100k loans?

What you have heard is NOT true at all. Plenty of banks will lend under $100K. I recently bought a Duplex for $105,000 and the loan on it was $76,000. It was a conventional loan w/ 20% down.  There are fannie/freedie guidelines in place for max loan amount, but I don't think there are any for minimum loan amounts (although don't quote me on it)

If you were told by a bank that they don't deal with sub $100K loans, its probably because they are less profitable,  find a different bank. Perhaps small community bank or credit union, or a direct lender. 

in my area there is a credit union that will do a portfolio loan as little as $30K.

I put a mortgage on a property for $44k. They make up their money by making it a no-prepayment mortgage. I have to ride it out for the five year term. It’s through the commercial arm of a local bank. Same interest rate as all my other mortgages just can’t pay it off early.

@Max Cohen yes you can do a loan under $100K.  Certain lenders say we can't do a certain loan amount because of profit more than anything.

Yes I’m about to get my third mortgage, all under 100k. Smallest is 28k, largest is 60k

This post has been removed.

Originally posted by @Max Cohen :
I have always heard that you couldn’t get a mortgage on a property under $100k.

I never knew why you couldn’t I just accepted it as fact.

Do you or anyone you know have any experience with these less than $100k loans?

In my experience it’s less than $50k for a mortgage. What banks have told you only $100k+?  Crypto is the currency of the future! #bitcoin!!!!

Have I mentioned how much I hate banks? https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/8160/51023-ah-banks-pardon-my-french---part-1

This post has been removed.

They're hard to find, but it's possible. I'm currently about to close on a property for $39,000. I going to purchase with hard- money, fix up the property, and then refinance with a small bank that would do such a small amount. It's possible you just have to be creative and make your goals a reality! Also you could go to a credit union for a personal loan, but the max term for that is usually 5 years.

@James Gleeson I am in search of a hard money lender that will lend less than $100k. Can you message me with info on who you used? 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here