Indianapolis, In- Haughville area

10 Replies

Hello everyone!

Does anyone know if the Haughville area of Indianapolis, IN is a good to invest in?

I'm by no means an expert but work with Ed Neu. He's been investing in indy 20+ years. Information ive gained from him heres what ive put together. Its majority low c & d class properties, so if youre looking for that and can handle tenant turns more routinely and majorly distressed properties. Id say look more into areas of high demand. Bates-hen , fountian square , broad ripple, irvinton, couple other aread north west, devonshire. ( id say look for high c-b class properties, larger intial investment but solid returns, better/longer tenants, cheaper turns, better quality property) like i said not an expert so any feedback or others advice much appreciated.

Thanks a bunch Aaron!  This helps a lot... Much appreciated! 

@Cherese Bailey I've not invested there personally but I would skip it. Too much crime. Too much drug activity. I would anticipate difficulty in attracting a quality tenant and in limiting tenant turnover. I'd consider it a "D" area and would instead seek out a "C" asset elsewhere which might cost 10% - 25% more but would be a better overall investment. 

@Cherese Bailey Like others have said, I would avoid that area unless you have experience with that class of tenant.  East of Haughville there is an area called Stringtown that has some good things happening.

@Cherese Bailey

If you're buying for a long term hold (10+ years), I'd definitely consider it as long as you can buy close to the river and the bridge across (is that 10th?).  IUPUI is building across the river.  More students = more opportunity for growth! 

It's rough now but is just about as close to downtown as Fountain Square is. When the GM stamping plant gets developed by Ambrose it will change the entire area west of the river. Would probably be very management intensive at first but could be a great long term hold if you can wait 5-15+ years. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here